Equality and inclusion
Award Submissions and Action Plans
The School of Medicine’s successful 2019 Athena SWAN Gold submission can be found here.
The School of Medicine’s successful 2016 Athena SWAN Silver submission can be found here.
Details of the School of Medicine’s 2013 Athena SWAN Bronze submission can be found here.
School of Medicine action plan
Our successful Athena SWAN Gold application includes a strategic, pragmatic and evidence-based action plan, which is focused on areas identified by staff as being of overall highest priority in achieving gender balance and equality in our School. The priority areas identified are as follows:
- Identifying a senior academic to champion each key priority area to accelerate impact
- Increasing the number and proportion of female academics in senior roles, especially Clinical Academics
- Improving career development and progression for professional, managerial, technical and support staff
- Create parity of career development for staff on fixed term contracts and a move towards a more sustainable career for research staff. Greater use of permanent contracts where appropriate.
- Tackling student experiences of sexual harassment on campus and on placement.
- Understand and act on intersectionality issues around career development and progression.
The action plan can be downloaded here.
Policies and Initiatives
A number of Faculty of Medicine and Health Initiatives have been created including:
- an Academic Development Fund to support the maintenance of academic trajectory following a period of leave
- flexible working arrangements with a guaranteed return to original hours
- opportunity to purchase additional leave
- Menopause Guidance
Details of the faculty initiatives can be found here.
The University of Leeds is committed to providing equal opportunities for all and offers a range of family friendly policies. For further guidance and for information about the policies and values that underpin the initiatives within the Faculty of Medicine and Health please visit the main University Human Resources website for all our policies.
The University also has in place a range of services to support our staff. Wellbeing, Safety and Health provide services relating to Health and Safety, Occupational Health, Staff Counselling and Psychological Support, Mediation and Radiation Protection.