We are an ASPIRE-to-Excellence award winning team supporting faculty development in medical education. We enhance the quality of Medical Education through our range of Continuing Professional Development courses - providing high-quality educational development opportunities to a global community of medical educators.
The CPD team supporting our educators are Dr Caitriona Dennis, Educational Staff Development Manager and Mrs Havita Mandande, Educational Staff Development Coordinator and Ms Zoe Ferguson, Staff Developments and Events Co-ordinator.
We aim to achieve this through scholarship, innovation and working in partnership with colleagues who share our vision of ‘excellence through scholarship’ in Medical Education.
We provide training through face-to-face workshops, conferences, E-learning courses and opportunities for shared learning through the creation of facilitated networks of medical education practitioners and specialists. During social distancing, we are providing sessions online via Teams, Zoom and Skype.
CPD and education programmes from the School of Medicine
Opportunities are available to all involved in teaching and training on our programmes (including the MBChB, MSc Physician Associate Studies). Those with an interest in education are welcome to attend workshops, courses and training events which support teaching, supervising or tutoring or mentoring.
How to get involved in teaching
There are several ways to get more involved in teaching. For teaching within the MBChB please look at the opportunities available in our MBChB booklet.
The CPD team hold a secure volunteer list. Opportunities to teach/mark/supervise within the MBChB and Physicians Associate programme are emailed to this list. If you would like to be on this mailing list, please email Dr Caitriona Dennis.
Our CPD events
Our CPD activities are free to those who are involved in teaching our students. Events are focussed on student learning, assessment in medical education, technology-enhanced learning and pastoral and academic support for students.
LIME CPD resources including the full programme of events can be accessed from the website.
What we offer:
CPD to develop your teaching:
- Peer Observation, participant-led, limited spaces.
- Small Group Teaching, a fundamental teaching technique for medical educators.
- Large Group Teaching, effective lecturing and enhanced presentation skills. Limited spaces.
- Supporting Medical Educators Skills' Day, an annual event focusing on teaching skills.
- Teaching the Physicians Associates, introducing the new healthcare role and the teaching approach by University of Leeds.
- Junior Doctors as Teachers, a workshop focused on the role of junior doctors in everyday teaching.
- Interprofessional Education, creating an interprofessional workplace learning environment - how to enhance and innovate.
- Annual Clinical Teachers Day, an event celebrating the teaching within the MBChB.
CPD to enhance your teaching:
- Technology in the MBChB. An introduction to the technologies and mobile apps used within the medical degree. Delegates will be able to expand and develop their ideas involving technology-enhanced learning.
- Virtual reality - an Educational Platform. Demonstrating the newest technologies which can be incorporated into your teaching.
- TiMEToTeach. This workshop will address issues surrounding teaching in the MBChB and Diploma in PA studies. It will provide insights into the curricula and online assessments used by students.
- Effective feedback. Tips to formatively assess students and provide feedback during workplace based assessments.
- Innovation in Clinical Teaching. Tips and Tricks from successful clinical teachers.
- Making time for teaching. Methods and ideas to provide teaching opportunities within a busy schedule.
- Teaching on the Ward and in the Clinic. How to provide an excellent student experience and develop your teaching skills.
- Teaching using Simulation. How to effectively use simulation techniques to enhance teaching.
- Sustainability. Future-proofing your teaching with regards to sustainability.
- Threshold Concepts. Identifying difficult areas of learning in our field and adopting different teaching techniques to support the learner.
- Utilising the MDT as a teaching opportunity
CPD for assessment skills
- MCQ/EMQ Writing An introduction into the theory and practice of writing exam questions in an MCQ/EMQ format
- OSCE Writing Theory behind OSCEs and working towards devising new OSCE stations.
- OSCE Examiner Training Outlining the roles of examiners and how to mark stations.
CPD for pastoral skills
- Student support
- Student Support Conference
- Careers guidance
- Mentoring Network.
If you are interested in any of the above courses and they are not listed to book, please email the CPD team firstname.lastname@example.org
During Social Distancing, these courses can be adapted for online delivery. Please email Dr Cait Dennis (C.Dennis@leeds.ac.uk) for more information.
LITE BITES are a selection of 10 minute e-learning packages with a clinical education focus. The courses are suitable for educators working within the university and healthcare environment.
OSCE Examiner Training Refresher course is available here.
Student Support - if you are a tutor or personal tutor or if you have teaching responsibilities, online resources are available to download specifically focused on Student Support. Our colleagues have published an AMEE guide for student support in medical undergraduate education, with free access.
Please access our COVID support response for students on placement.
The Organisational Development and Professional Learning (ODPL) at the University of Leeds have online resources for learning and teaching as well as information and guidance about working and standards at the University.
Leeds Institute of Medical Education has developed a network of medical education mentors to provide junior doctors, or doctors and healthcare professionals just beginning to undertake teaching responsibilities in West Yorkshire with support for their teaching activities.
An initial mentorship training will be provided, and two further face to face sessions will be offered throughout the year. The purpose of these sessions will be to explore typical issues that arise in mentoring situations as well additional content identified as being of use by the mentors themselves. For additional support, we have an online LITEBITE focussing on mentoring.
To book your place please use our online booking form: Book a course
Develop your teaching expertise with formal programmes
If you are interested in furthering and formalising your teaching skills, the university has accredited courses to build upon your existing knowledge. You may want to look into the following courses offered: