- Group summary: The Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development is an established specialist centre for research, capacity-building and study in international health systems and services. NCIHD research projects address priority health problems and inform health policy in low/middle-income countries.
What we do
The Nuffield Centre conducts research to combat health challenges all over the world. We are a World Health Organization Collabrating Centre in Research and Capacity Strengthening of Health Policy, Governance and Services. Our research work underpins our taught programmes in international health.
Our research prioritises improved health care for the poor in low and middle income countries through two central objectives:
- Increasing understanding of how health systems can be better configured to provide improved health services.
- Developing and testing interventions which address weaknesses in health services that have been identified as priorities by policy makers.
We have a specific interest in the following areas:
- Improving care for tuberculosis (TB) and multi drug resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
- Improving care for cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Tobacco control.
- Health economics and financing.
- Health policy.
- Urban healthcare provision.
- Family planning.
- Health behaviour change.
- Ensuring research uptake.
- Developing new methods for monitoring and evaluating health interventions.
- Increasing research and teaching capacity development in low-income countries.
Specific details of projects can be found in the projects directory.
Who we work with
We work with government, non-governmental and academic partners to ensure that:
- Our research addresses priority health problems.
- We produce knowledge appropriate for guiding policy.
- Research findings are used to improve health policy making and practice.
Central to all our work is an emphasis on improving research uptake in the field by including local decision makers in the process of idenitifying health problems and designing health research.
Who we are
Head of Centre
Dr Ricky van Kalliecharan
Telephone: +44 (0)113 343 0839