Dr Ricky Van Kalliecharan
- Position: Associate Professor (T&S)
- Areas of expertise: Health policy, planning and management; Health sector financing; and Capacity development of public health training institutions
- Email: R.Kalliecharan@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3732
- Location: 10.18, Level 10, Worsley Building
- Website: LinkedIn
I am an Associate Professor with specialised knowledge and expertise in health policy, planning and management; health sector financing; and capacity development of public health training institutions.
Responsibilities I have undertaken within health and other sectors include:
- service provision and programme management at the district level
- policy development and health planning at the regional and national levels
- lecturing and research with academic institutions and
- consulting for health authorities and international organisations
These skills were developed over twenty-six years of public health management experience in the health sectors of various countries including Canada, UK, Tanzania, China, Sudan, India and the Caribbean.
(2008 - current).:
Module Leader for the following modules: Principles Health Management, Planning and Policy; Policy for Health and Development; Challenges and Opportunities in International Health; Monitoring and Evaluation of Health Programmes; Health Systems Development for Primary Health care
- Director of Student Education - TPG - SoM
- Head - Nuffield Centre
My current interests are in a developing country context and includes the following:
- Health policy analysis
- Health systems and governance
- Health planning
- Social/national health insurance
- Educational capacity building - public health management
PhD supervision included the following topics:
- Rumana Haque (2009) Resource allocation and budgeting process of the MOHFW of Bangladesh: What can be done to promote equity and efficiency?
- Tolib Mirzoev (2010) Assessment of capacity of the Ministry of Health to conduct policy process in the Republic of Tajikistan.
- Karen Newbigging (2013) Service user agency and the policy process: A case study of the Mental Health National Service Framework in England.
Current PhD students:
- Elsheikh Badr - Governance of Health Professions Education in Sudan: Implications for appropriateness of graduates to population health needs.
- Hadija Kweka - The relationship between Central Organisations and Local Government and their influence on local planning process: A case of Council Health Management Team Planning in Tanzania.
- PhD - Health Policy & Health Sector Financing, University of Leeds, UK
- MA - Health Management, Planning and Policy – University of Leeds, UK
- PG Cert in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education – University of Leeds, UK
- PG Cert in Health Management Studies – Institute of Health Services Management, London, UK
- BA (Hons) Labour/Management Relations & Economics – University of Toronto - Canada
- 2012-current Fellow - Higher Education Academy, UK
I have strong skills and knowledge for teaching in higher education with a focus on postgraduate education. I am currently the Director of Student Education for Taught Postgraduate Studies in the School of Medicine and held the position of Sub-Dean for Post-Graduate Assessment in the School of Medicine. These responsibilities provide an oversight for the quality assurance of the portfolio of postgraduate programmes offered through the School of Medicine and to ensure consistency in assessment procedures across the School.
Core area of teaching include:
- health policy, planning and management;
- monitoring and evlaution of health programmes and
- health financing
I teach on programmes at the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development including:
- Master of Public Health (MPH) - Health Management, Planning and Policy;
- Master of Public Health (MPH) - International;
- MSc International Health; and
- Intercalated BSc International Health
I am also an external examiner for the Master of Public Health (MPH), Royal Tropical Institute (KIT), Netherlands. As an extension of my skills and experience in quality assurance of student education, I undertake capacity development activities to support Universities and other training instituions in low and middle income countries to develop training programmes in public health and public health management. I also provide guidance on developing systems for quality assurance (including conducting training needs assessment, curriculum development, and training of trainers in his core areas of teaching).
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences