Division of Primary Care, Palliative Care and Public Health
- Group summary: The Division of Primary Care, Palliative Care and Public Health aims to promote the delivery of high quality health care and improve population outcomes through internationally excellent research and teaching. Our approach is underpinned by strong, sustained partnerships with clinicians, policy-makers and the public.
What we do
We aim to promote the delivery of high quality health care and improve population and patient outcomes through internationally excellent research and teaching. Our approach is underpinned by strong, sustained partnerships with clinicians, policy-makers and the public.
We work in partnership with University and NHS colleagues to provide educational programmes at postgraduate and undergraduate level. We play a significant role in the undergraduate MBChB at the University of Leeds to help develop tomorrow’s doctors, providing teaching and managing primary care placements across the five year programme. We also offer an Intercalated BSc in Primary Care. We offer a range of continuing professional development courses for tutors and public health practitioners and a postgraduate programme in primary care education. We also contribute to specialist public health training within Yorkshire and the Humber.
Our research interests focus on three priorities:
- Primary Care Oncology – including earlier diagnosis of cancer, screening, and both pharmacological and non-pharmacological approaches to cancer prevention in primary and secondary care (led by Professor Richard Neal).
- The Health and Wellbeing of Older People – particularly the development and evaluation of complex interventions in community settings (led by Professor Suzanne Richards).
- Implementation Science – understanding and changing professional behaviour to improve the uptake of evidence-based practice (led by Professor Robbie Foy).
- Palliative care – (led by Professor Michael Bennett).
We also actively contribute expertise in primary care research to other programmes within the Leeds Institute of Health Science, nationally and internationally. We have close working links with West Yorkshire Research and Development, our key partner in developing and supporting research and sharing findings.
If you are interested in collaborating in research contact the relevant theme lead in the first instance.
Who we are
Head of Division
Professor Robbie Foy
Senior Academic Support Secretary
Phone: +44 (0)113 343 0837
- Primary Care Oncology
- The Health and Wellbeing of Older People
- Implementation Science
- St Gemma's Academic Unit of Palliative Care