Dr Tolib Mirzoev
- Position: Associate Professor of International Health Policy and Systems
- Areas of expertise: international / global health; health systems assessment / strengthening; health policy analysis; evidence-informed policymaking; capacity assessments / strengthening; health systems governance.
- Email: T.Mirzoev@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4869
- Location: 10.14, Level 10 Worsley Building, Clarendon Way, Leeds, LS2 9NL
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Tolib is the Head of the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development and a senior academic with expertise and interest in health policy analysis, health systems strengthening and capacity development in low and middle-income countries.
He currently has about 20 years experience of health policy and systems assessment and strengthening in different contexts. Originally from a clinical background, during the 1990s and early 2000s he has worked with both government (national Ministry of Health in Tajikistan) and donors (World Bank health reform programme), which allowed him to develop interest and expertise in health systems, health policy and planning, health reforms, human resources and health management information systems.
Tolib joined the Nuffield Institute for Health in 2004, and is currently leading different collaborative health policy and systems research programmes. His collaborative research involved partners from different Asian (e.g. Vietnam, China, India, Bangladesh, Nepal) and African (e.g. Nigeria, Tanzania, Ghana, Uganda) countries. His research has been funded by various funders including European Commission, UK Research Councils (e.g. MRC, ESRC) and the World Health Organisation. Tolib is a Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA) with substantial experience teaching health policy and systems at under- and post-graduate programmes at the University of Leeds, supervising taught postgraduate and PhD students, delivering guest lectures and external examining in other UK universities.
- Head of the Nuffield Centre for International Health and Development
Tolib is primarily a qualitative researcher with increasing interest and expertise in the mixed-methods and cross-disciplinary studies. His current research interests and expertise cover:
- health policy analysis including policy processes and role of evidence
- capacity assessments and strengthening
- health systems governance, planning and management
- health management information systems
- human resources for health
On-going and completed research grants:
- The Big Picture - Adapting PhotoVoice to enhance psychological, social & cultural insights into & prevention & treatment of youth substance in India (Sept 2018 – Feb 2021, GCRF/ESRC/AHRC, £460.7k), Co-Investigator
- IMPACT - NIHR Global Health Research Group: Improving Outcomes in Mental and Physical Multimorbidity and Developing Research Capacity in South Asia (Apr 2018 – Mar 2021; NIHR, £1.99m), Co-Investigator
- SUE - Surveys for Urban Equity: getting, and using, the data needed to respond to neglected non-communicable diseases in urban areas in LMICs (Apr 2017 – Mar 2019; GCRF/MRC; £653.2k), Co-Investigator
- EXTEND - Impact of Extending Health Services to remote populations in Nigeria using Satellite Communication (Feb 2017 – Feb 2019; UK Space Agency; £389.1k), Co-Investigator
- RESPOND - Creating responsive health systems: improving the use of feedback from service users in quality assurance and human resource management in Bangladesh (Jan 2017 – June 2018; MRC / DFID / Wellcome / ESRC; £200k), Principal Investigator
- Socially Inclusive Cities Network (Jan 2017 – June 2018; GCRF/ESRC; £149.7k), Co-Investigator
- REVAMP - Determinants of effectiveness of a novel community health workers programme in improving maternal and child health in Nigeria (Jun 2015 – May 2020; MRC / DFID / Wellcome / ESRC; £939.3k), Principal Investigator
- Improving acceptability of ethnic minority midwives (EMMs) by local community and health system in mountainous provinces in Vietnam (Apr 2015 – Mar 2016; WHO AHPSR; USD 100k), Co-Investigator
- EVAL-HEALTH – Developing and testing of new methodologies to monitor and evaluate health related EU-funded interventions in cooperation partner countries (Jan 2011 – Oct 2014; EC, FP7; EURO 2.8m), Co-Investigator and WP lead
- CHEPSAA – Consortium for Health Policy and Systems Analysis in Africa (Feb 2011 – Jan 2015; EC, FP7; EURO 1.9m), Co-Investigator and WP lead
- PERFORM - Supporting decentralised management to improve health workforce performance in Ghana, Uganda and Tanzania (Sept 2011 – Aug 2015; EC, FP7; EURO 2.9m), Co-Investigator and WP lead
- HESVIC – Health system stewardship and regulation in Vietnam, India and China (July 2009 – June 2012; EC, FP7; EURO 2.99m), Principal Investigator and Project Coordinator
- MHAPP - MHAPP – Mental Health and Poverty Project (2005 - 2010; DFID, £5m), Co-investigator
- HEPVIC – Health Policy-making in Vietnam, India and China: key determinants and their inter-relationships (Nov 2005 – Oct 2008; EC, FP6; EURO 2.6m ), Co-Investigator
- PhD in Health Policy (University of Leeds, UK)
- MA in Health Management, Planning and Policy (University of Leeds, UK)
- PG Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, PGCLTHE (University of Leeds, UK)
- MD (Medical Academy, Saint Petersburg, Russia)
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Health Systems Global
He currently manages a core module on health systems (MSc in International Health) and teaches different aspects of health systems and policies at other modules and short programmes in the Nuffield Centre.
Tolib also regularly delivers guest lectures in other UK universities and is a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- International health research
- Research at the Nuffield Centre of International Health and Development