- Group summary: Leeds Orthopaedics and Trauma Sciences is based at the University of Leeds and is part of LIRMM. It conducts, leads and collaborates in cutting edge research in musculoskeletal conditions. The group has secured funding in excess of 20 million from various grant bodies, charitable trusts as well as industry. Its current areas of translational research are in osteoarthritis, fractures, related large data sets, international health, sensor technology and patient outcomes.
What we do
Working collaboratively with academic colleagues, partners in the NHS, industry and/or the wider public and private health sector, we lead and conduct high-quality research across the breadth of musculoskeletal (MSK)conditions in both trauma as well as elective orthopaedics. Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust is a Major Trauma Centre serving a population of 800,000 in the Leeds City region and is a tertiary referral centre for a population of around 2.5 million.
We deliver support and supervision for post-graduate students and fellowship applicants from within the University, Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust (LTHT) and other organisations. We are a recognised AO trauma fellowship center. Our staff also contribute to a learning and teaching portfolio that includes post-graduate courses, undergraduate teaching and medic as well as paramedic education at local, regional, national and international level.
Our research is primarily focused at improving patient outcomes in any MSK conditions. As we live longer and wish to stay fit andf active, it is important that our independence and painfree mobility are maintained.
We conduct translational as well as basic science research in the fields of fracture and its sequale, osteoarthritis – aetiopathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment as well as rare conditions.
Various clinical trials/studies are currently running including the following:
- SPAARK – this NIHR (RFPB) funded trial is assessing the effectiveness of liposomal bupivacaine in sustained pain relief post knee replacement.
- T-Pac – a feasibility study of combined autologous platelet-rich plasma and concentrated autologous bone marrow in patients with a fresh unilateral tibial diaphyseal fracture.
- KARDS – this NIHR (HTA) funded trial will compare the safety and efficacy of knee distraction for knee OA.
- Tib N-Force – a proof of concept randomised controlled trial comparing the impact of early versus delayed weight bearing following surgery for tibial plateau fracture.
- GRACE – industry-sponsored study assessing mechanism of action for diclofenac gel in knee OA.
- GreenBric – a first in man study to evaluate the safety and performance of GreenBone Implant for iliac crest reconstruction, following bone graft harvesting for pelvic fusion.
- iSMART – this Versus Arthritis-funded study is assessing use of implantable sensors in knee arthroplasty.
- OPPORTUNITY – this ARUK-funded feasibility study is examining the impact of weight reduction, physiotherapy, orthotics and appropriate analgesia on patients listed for knee arthroplasty.
Who we work with
Clinicians, Scientists, Epidemiologists, computer scientists, biostatisticians, economists, Biomedical Engineers, the NHS and industry.
- Matharu GS, Murray DW, Judge A, Pandit H. Do trabecular metal acetabular components reduce the risk of re-revision following revision total hip arthroplasty? A propensity score matched study from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018 Jul 5;100(13):1132-1140.
- Elniel AR, Giannoudis PV. Open fractures of the lower extremity: Current management and clinical outcomes. EFORT Open Rev. 2018 May 21;3(5):316-325.
- Fragkakis EM, El-Jawhari JJ, Dunsmuir RA, Millner PA, Rao AS, Henshaw KT, Pountos I, Jones E, Giannoudis PV. Vertebral body versus iliac crest bone marrow as a source of multipotential stromal cells: Comparison of processing techniques, tri-lineage differentiation and application on a scaffold for spine fusion. PLoS One. 2018 May 24;13(5):e0197969.
- Tosounidis TH, Giannoudis VP, Kanakaris NK, Giannoudis PV. The Ilioinguinal Approach: State of the Art. JBJS Essent Surg Tech. 2018 Jun 27;8(2):e19.
- Tosounidis TH, Giannoudis VP, Kanakaris NK, Giannoudis PV. The Kocher-Langenbeck Approach: State of the Art. JBJS Essent Surg Tech. 2018 Jun 13;8(2):e18.
- Saleeb H, Tosounidis T, Papakostidis C, Giannoudis PV.
Incidenceof deep infection, union and malunion for open diaphyseal femoral shaft fractures treated with IM nailing: A systematic review. Surgeon. 2018 Aug 27.
- Walters G, Pountos I, Giannoudis PV. The cytokines and micro-environment of fracture haematoma: Current evidence. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2018 Mar;12(3):e1662-e1677.
- Messner J, Papakostidis C, Giannoudis PV, Kanakaris NK. Duration of Administration of Antibiotic Agents for Open Fractures: Meta-Analysis of the Existing Evidence. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017 Nov/Dec;18(8):854-867.
- van Duren BH, Pandit H, Pechon P, Hart A, Murray DW. The role of the patellar tendon angle and patellar flexion angle in the interpretation of sagittal plane kinematics of the knee after knee arthroplasty: A modelling analysis. Knee. 2018 Mar;25(2):240-248.
- Matharu GS, Judge A, Pandit H, Murray DW. Follow-up for people with metal-on-metal hip replacements: are the new MHRA recommendations justified? BMJ. 2018 Feb 13;360:k566.
- Yeomans D, Le G, Lavy C, Pandit H. Is overseas volunteering beneficial to NHS doctors?: The analysis of volunteers’ responses to a feedback questionnaire following experiences in low and
middle incomecountries. BMJ Open. 2017 Oct 16;7(10):e017517.
- Panteli M, Mauffrey C, Giannoudis PV. Subtrochanteric fractures: Issues and challenges. Injury. 2017 Oct;48(10):2023-2026.
- Matharu GS, Blanshard O, Dhaliwal K, Judge A, Murray DW, Pandit HG. Patient and radiographic factors help to predict metal-on-metal hip
resurfacingswith evidence of a pseudotumor. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2017; 99(3):214-222.
- El-Jawhari JJ, Cuthbert R, McGonagle D, Jones E, Giannoudis PV. The CD45lowCD271high Cell Prevalence in Bone Marrow Samples May
Providea Useful Measurement of the Bone Marrow Quality for Cartilage and Bone Regenerative Therapy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017 Aug 2;99(15):1305-1313.
- Koh A, Guerado E, Giannoudis PV. Atypical femoral fractures related to bisphosphonate treatment: issues and controversies related to their surgical management. Bone Joint J. 2017 Mar;99-B(3):295-302.
- Hamilton TW, Athanassoglou V, Mellon S, Strickland LH, Trivella M, Murray D, Pandit HG. Liposomal
bupivicaineinfiltration at the surgical site for the management of postoperative pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 Feb 1;2 :CD011419.
- Hamilton TW, Strickland L, Pandit H. A meta-analysis on the use of
gabapentinoidsfor the treatment of acute postoperative pain following total knee arthroplasty. J Bone Joint SurgeyAM 2016 Aug 17;98(16):1340-50.
Who we are
Leeds Institute of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Medicine
Chapel Allerton Hospital
Chapel Town Road
Offices and lab space also at:
Level 9, Worsley Building
Telephone: +44 (0) 113 3922750; +44 (0) 113 3924883