Professor Peter Giannoudis
- Position: Professor (Clinical)
- Areas of expertise: Bone regeneration; Treatment of post fracture fixation complications; Pelvic and acetabulum reconstruction; Avascular necrosis; Bone scaffold; Mesenchymal stem cells; Polytrauma; Bone infection
- Email: P.Giannoudis@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 206 7068
- Location: 9.81 Worsley Building
- Website: Googlescholar | Researchgate
I work as the Professor (School of Medicine, University of Leeds) and Honorary Consultant at Leeds General Infirmary (LGI), a major teaching hospital serving a population in the region of 3.5 million. It is a major trauma unit, accepting complex trauma through its busy Accident and Emergency Department and from other hospitals of the region. I am the section head of the department and responsible for the clinical trials at Leeds General infirmary Hospital. I am a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow.
In 2000, I was awarded the M.D. degree by the University of Leeds. I have successfully completed 2 trauma fellowships: at the University of Louisville, Kentucky USA and Hannover Medical School, Hannover Germany respectively. Throughout my career I have served in positions of responsibility including amongst others: President of the British Trauma Society (2003-2007), President of the European Society of Pelvis and Acetabulum (2007-2012), President of the European Society Tissue Regeneration in Orthopaedics and Traumatology (2018-onwards), Chair of the International Committee of Orthopaedic Trauma Association (USA) (2012-2018), Trustee of the British Orthopaedic Association (2017-2020), and Editor in Chief of Injury Journal (2010-onwards).
My research interest is focused, on the immune-inflammatory response following accidental and surgical trauma, biology of mesenchymal stem cells, bone regeneration, bioengineering, and clinical outcomes following fracture fixation.
I have published over 600 peer review papers. His google scholar h-index is 93 with 32,567 citations.
I have given over 250 invited national and international guest lectures and Keynote lectures since 2004.
- Section Head for Trauma & Orthopaedics
- Head of Clinical Trials LGI
- Post Graduate Supervisor for Research
Professor Giannoudis has an ever expanding research portfolio and includes the following themes:
- Genetic predisposition to fracture non-union
- Biological profile of fracture non union
- Biology of mesenchymal stem cells
- Pharmacological enhancement of bone healing
- Tissue engineering approaches to bone and soft tissue defects
- Membrane bone guided regeneration
- Bone infection and its regulation following fracture fixation and open fracture management
- Immuno-inflammatory response to trauma
- Application of nanotechnology techniques for delivery of growth factors
- Augmentation of fragility fractures
- Clinical evaluation of implants for bone fixation
- Clinical outcome studies
Strong links of collaboration and cross fertilisation have been established with other university research groups and institutes including, inflammatory arthritis, mechanical engineering, dentistry, microbiology and surgery.
- FRCS (Eng) FRCS (Glasg)
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Trauma Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons England
- Fellow American College of Surgeons
- International Society of Fracture Repair
- Orthopaedic Research Society
- European Society of Tissue Regeneration
- AO Foundation
I am actively involved in the post graduate teaching of residents of the regional Trauma & Orthopaedic rotation. I also contribute to the teaching of postgraduate research students and foundation doctors. Moreover, I teach the Trauma fellows and AO fellows.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Medicine
- International health research
- Musculoskeletal disease
- Regenerative medicine
- Regenerative Medicine Group
- Surgical technology
- Orthopaedics and Trauma Sciences