Ms Mary Smith
- Email: email@example.com
- Thesis title: Exploring the experiences of patients and carers making complaints about the safety of care on mental health in-patient units
- Supervisors: Professor John Baker, Professor Jane K. O'Hara
I am a qualified Social Worker registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC); an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) - previously Approved Social Worker (ASW) - and a Best Interest Assessor (BIA) under the Mental Capacity Act. I am trained to MSc level in advanced interventions for mental health including family interventions, psychosocial interventions and cognitive behavioural therapy for psychosis. I am an experienced Care Quality Commission (CQC) Specialist Advisor (SPA), working on individual specialist projects as well as on-site inspections. I recently worked with the CQC to publish a review of AMHP services nationally. I have held a variety of positions over my social work career, including team manager of a community mental health team and head of social work within a northern mental health trust and head of adult social care within a large local authority
Throughout my career I have been committed to developing and improving social work practice, ensuring the highest standards of adult social care across the teams I managed. As part of a health and social care Trust I led staff within an integrated service, and supported the move towards further integration with health. I have supported the development of new models of care and led on integrated service delivery across both acute hospital services and within community settings.
I am currently undertaking a three year Phd research project exploring the experiences of quality, safety and care for patients, families and carers using inpatient mental health services.
- Family interventions within mental health
- Experiences of Approved Mental Health Professionals (AMHPs)
- Application of the Mental Heath Act and Mental Capacity Act
- Exploring experiences of patients, families and carers who have used mental health inpatient services
- Patient safety and quality of care within mental health services
- MSc advanced interventions in mental health
- Approved Mental Health Professional
- Best Interest Assessor
- BA Social Work / DiPSW