Dr Neil A. Turner
I obtained a First Class BSc (Hons) in Biochemistry from the University of Manchester and a PhD in neuronal signal transduction from the University of Leeds before undertaking a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard Medical School (Boston, USA) working on cardiomyocyte stress signalling pathways. On returning to Leeds I began my work on cardiac fibroblasts and was awarded a Research Councils UK 5-year Academic Research Fellowship to study the regulation of human cardiac fibroblast function. I subsequently obtained a full academic Lecturer position before being promoted to Associate Professor. I am currently Deputy Head of the Discovery & Translational Science Department with remit for Student Education.
- Deputy Head of Discovery & Translational Science Department (Student Education)
- Lead for LICAMM Teaching Enhancement Network (TENet)
My current research is focused on the signalling mechanisms regulating cardiac fibroblast function in the setting of inflammatory cardiac remodelling.
Recent grants as Principal Investigator
Investigating the role and regulation of the Piezo1 mechanosenstitive cation channel in cardiac fibroblasts (British Heart Foundation, 2020-23)
Regulation of human cardiac fibroblast function by specific microRNAs (British Heart Foundation, 2019-22).
Investigating the importance of interleukin-1alpha and its receptor on cardiac fibroblasts in post-MI myocardial remodelling (British Heart Foundation, 2016-18).
Investigating the role of the mechanosensitive cation channel Piezo1 in the regulation of cardiac fibroblast function (British Heart Foundation, 2015-18).
Modulation of myocardial remodelling by fibroblast-selective inhibition of p38-alpha signalling (British Heart Foundation, 2012-16).
Modulation of myocardial remodelling by fibroblast-selective inhibition of interleukin-1 signalling (British Heart Foundation, 2012-15).
- PhD - University of Leeds
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry - University of Manchester
- FHEA - Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- British Society for Cardiovascular Research
- International Society for Heart Research
- European Society of Cardiology
- Higher Education Academy
MBChB - Year 1 - Introduction to Medical Sciences (IMS) - Lecturer and Tutor
MBChB - Year 1 - Research Evaluation and Special Studies (RESS) - Special Studies Project Tutor
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Discovery and Translational Science
- Immunity and inflammation
- Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre