Dr Hema Viswambharan
- Position: Senior Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Vascular biology; endothelial function; insulin signaling; signal transduction; type 2 diabetes; reactive oxygen species
- Email: H.Viswambharan@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4877
- Location: 4.07 LIGHT Laboratories
- Website: British Heart Foundation | Googlescholar | ORCID
I joined LICAMM, University of Leeds in 2007. I obtained my PhD from University of Fribourg, Switzerland before taking up a postdoctoral position at LICAMM.
I am a graduate of the University of Malaya, Malaysia and trained in the field of Genetics and Microbiology. I undertook my doctoral and first postdoctoral research training in the labs of Prof Luscher (Zurich) and Prof Zhihong Yang (Fribourg), prior to my appointment as Resarch Fellow within the group of Prof Kearney. I am an Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and was elected Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC, 2008). I am also a member of the ESC Working Group on Atherosclerosis. I lead the sandwich-year placement undergraduate courses, with participating universities and well as a placement provider for the Nuffield Research Foundation.
My main research interests are molecular mechanisms of insulin sensitivity in endothelial cells and the role of reactive oxygen species in mediating cardiovascular complications. I am extermely keen on public engagements involving my research; targeting school children at various levels and am working together with the British Heart Foundation towards this aim.
- BSc (Hons)
- The British Society for Cardiovascular Research
- Society for Endocrinology
- European Society of Cardiology Working Group
I am involved with MBChB courses., including module preparations and assessments. I also provide summer school project/placement opportunities to MBChB undergraduate students.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine