Professor Adam Glaser
- Position: Professor of Paediatric Oncology and Late Effects
- Areas of expertise: Late effects of cancer in young people and adults; Patient reported outcomes research (PROMs); Fertility preservation and reproductive health in cancer patients; Child Health.
- Email: A.Glaser@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6265
- Location: 11.72 Worsley Building
I am a health service researcher and clinician. I combine my clinical work as a paedaitric oncologist with a research programme focusing on the identification of the consequences of living with and beyond cancer. Specific interests are outcomes of cancer in young people and the reproductive and sexual health consequences of cancer.
Over the last 20 years I have been instrumental in moving the needs of individuals living with and beyond cancer from the marginal to the mainstream of the health service and political agendas. This has involved leading on national policy and generating core evidence to underpin policy change and investment in services.
Current activities include developing a robust programme of fertility preservation services across England and establishment of a UK population-based register of stored ovarian and testicular tissue.
Current roles in Leeds include:
- Medical Director of the largest specialist population-based register of cancer in young people diagnosed up to the age of 30 years.
- Clinical Lead for the 6 bedded Children's Clincial Research Facility, part of the £8.7 million Leeds NIHR CRF.
- Research lead at Leeds Children's Hospital, with an annual reseach income in excess £1 million.
- Co-ordination of the inter-disciplinary Children’s Health Outcome Research Centre at Leeds (CHORAL).
- Research Lead, Leeds Children's Hospital
- Clinical Lead, Children's Clinical Research Facility NIHR CRF@Leeds
Major grants over last 5 years
- Yorkshire Specialist Register of Cancer in Children and Young People. Candlelighters £571,961. 2022-27
- Leeds Clincial Research Facility. NIHR £8.7 million. 2022-27.
- Prostate Cancer UK. Life after prostate cancer diagnosis. Glaser A and Gavin A (PIs) £2,120,289. 2014-19.
- Yorkshire Cancer Research. The Yorkshire Cancer Research Bladder Cancer Patient Reported Outcomes Survey. Catto J and Glaser A (PIs) £377,242. 2015-23.
- Macmillan Cancer Support. CPR for Cancer Outcomes: The use of comprehensive patient records (CPR) to define the impact of cancer, co-morbidities and late-effects on individuals and the health service. Glaser A & Hall G (PIs). £689,140.57. 2015-23..
- Candlelighters Trust. Paediatric Oncology/haematology Research Fellowship Programme. 2015-23. Glaser A and Kinsey S (Joint Programme Leads) £2,1190,358.38.
- Macmillan Cancer Support. Evaluation of Patient-Reported Outcome (PRO) Protocol Content and Reporting in UK Cancer Clinical Trials – EPiC. Kyte D and Calvert M (PIs) Glaser A, Velikova G, Brown J co-investigators. 2016-18. £199,838.90.
- NIHR. PRESENT: Patient Reported Experience Survey Engineering of Natural Text: developing practical automated analysis and dashboard representations of cancer survey freetext answers. Rivas C et al. Glaser AW co-investigator. 11/15/- 5/17.
- BSc (Hons)
I lead an innovative research training programme for paediatric oncologists in training, enabling them to study for PhD degrees. This £2 million programme is funded by Candlelilighters.
I have a successful track record of supervising post-graduate students and currently supervise both clincial and non-clinical students studying for PhDs.
In the last 5 years I have examined for PhDs nationally and internationally.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's
- Cancer Survivor Intelligence Group