Professor Jürgen E Schneider
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: (Cardiac) Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI); (Cardiac) Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS); Diffusion MRI; Preclinical Imaging
- Email: J.E.Schneider@leeds.ac.uk
Jürgen E. Schneider, PhD, holds a Chair in Biomedical Imaging at the Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine, University of Leeds and is Visiting Professor of Medical Imaging to the Radcliffe Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at the University of Oxford. He completed his PhD with Professor A. Haase at the University of Würzburg in Germany in 2000, and relocated to Oxford in January 2001. He has been a major driving force nationally and internationally in the development and application of experimental cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and spectroscopy (MRS) for rapid, non-invasive and comprehensive phenotyping of the rodent heart at ultra-high magnetic fields, and has published extensively in this field.
Until recently, Professor Schneider co-directed (jointly with Professors Stefan Neubauer and Craig Lygate), the British Heart Foundation Experimental Magnetic Resonance Unit (BMRU) in Oxford, where he was responsible for the development and application of experimental cardiac MR. Professor Schneider's role was central to multiple internal and external cardiovascular research projects within the department and beyond. In 2016 he accepted a personal chair in Leeds and is now directing the recently opened Experimental and Preclinical Imaging Centre (ePIC), which provides access to the latest generation of multi-modal imaging equipment, including MRI (7 Tesla), PET / SPECT / CT, optical imaging, ultrasound and μCT, and, together with Prof Sven Plein, co-directs the clinical Advanced Imaging Centre (AIC).
- Director, Experimental & Preclinical Imaging Centre (ePIC)
- Deputy Head of Biomedical Imaging Science Department (BISD)
- Visiting Professor to the Radcliffe Department of Medicine, University of Oxford
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
- Diffusion MRI
- Small animal MRI & MRS
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Biomedical Imaging Science