Dr Jian Shi
- Position: Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Electrophysiology; ion channel biophysics; ion channel pharmacology; ion channel physiology
- Email: J.Shi1@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 7.28 LIGHT Laboratories
After obtaining my PhD on ion channel pharmacology from Chinese Academy of Science in 2008, I came to England for my postdoctoral research on cardiovascular TRPC channels at University of London prior to moving to University of Leeds as a Wellcome Trust research fellow.
Then I was awarded a prestigious BHF Intermediate Basic Science Research Fellowship in 2016 and was appointed a tenure-track University Academic Fellow (Assistant Professor) based in LICAMM, School of Medicine.
In 2022, I was promoted to Associate Professor (tenured).
- Principle Investigator
- BHF Intermediate Fellow
- Editorial Board Member of The Journal of Physiology
My current research interests mainly focus on biophysical properties and physiological roles of mechanically-activated ion channels, specifically Piezo1 channels, in vasculature. These properties and the regulation by membrane components including lipids and proteins determine how endothelial cells in vasculature respond to shear stress in health and disease.
This research will fundamentally improve our understanding of blood flow sensing in blood vessels and may reveal new ways to treat heart and circulatory diseases.
- BSc (Hon)
- Physiological Society
- Biophysical Society
- Supervision of MRes and PhD students who are interested in ion channel biophysics and functions.
- Lectures on Electrophysiology Technique and Its Application In Cardiovascular Research to PhD students
- Lectures on Anatomy and Physiology to medical students
- Lectures on Introduction to Medical Science to medical students
- Perspective PhD students are very welcomed to make informal contact with Dr Shi by email.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Discovery and Translational Science
- British Heart Foundation - Cardiovascular research
- Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre
Current postgraduate researchers
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/1349-computer-simulations-of-force-detection-in-cardiovascular-disease">Computer simulations of force detection in cardiovascular disease</a></li>
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/1353-differentiated-response-of-endothelial-piezo1-channels-to-shear-stress-and-hydrostatic-pressure-and-its-underlying-molecular-basis">Differentiated response of endothelial Piezo1 channels to shear stress and hydrostatic pressure and its underlying molecular basis</a></li>
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/1351-ion-channel-regulation-in-cardiovascular-disease">Ion channel regulation in cardiovascular disease</a></li>
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/1352-molecular-characterization-and-functional-roles-of-volume-regulated-ion-channels-in-platelets">Molecular characterization and functional roles of volume-regulated ion channels in platelets</a></li>