Professor Chris Twelves
- Position: Professor of Clinical Cancer Pharmacology and Oncology
- Areas of expertise: Early and late phase clinical cancer trials Cancer pharmacology Breast cancer
- Email: C.J.Twelves@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 206 8186
- Location: Level 4 Bexley Wing St James Institute of Oncology
My first degree was in Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology at Sheffield, and after completing my medical training at Guy’s Hospital in London I developed an interest in drug development in Glasgow where I led the Phase I trial programme. I moved back to Yorkshire in 2003 and headed the Section of Oncology and Cancer Research (Clinical), which covers a broad area of activities until 2019; I also headed the Cancer Research UK/NIHR Experimental Cancer Medicine Centre. I am currently Director of the NIHR Leeds Cancer Research Facility and work closely with the Institute of Cancer Therapeutics (ICT) at the University of Bradford where I hold an Honorary Chair, and am Clinical Director. I have more than 230 publications listed on PubMed, including papers in the New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Lancet Oncology and Journal of Clinical Oncology. Previously I was Scientific Chair for the 2009 ECCO 15 – ESMO 34th Multidisciplinary Congress 2009 ECCO-ESMO in Berlin, was Chair of the EORTC New Drug Development Group between 2002 and 2004. I have sat on several Cancer Research UK and American Society of Clinical Oncology Committees. I deliver clinical teaching to undergraduate medical students and oncology traines as wellas supervising both clinical and non-clinical supervising Ph D. I lecture at the Universities of Bradford, Sheffield and Leicester and have spoken at several CME Symposia at the ASCO and ECCO/ESMO annual meetings.
- Director NIHR Leeds Clinical Research Facility
Translational breast cancer studies.
- B Med Sci
- MB ChB
- American Association of Clinical Oncology
- European Society of Medical Oncology
I undertake clinical teaching of medical students.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's