Dr Gemma Traviss-Turner CPsychol. SFHEA
- Position: Lecturer in Primary Care
- Areas of expertise: Behaviour change - Disordered eating, Physical activity, Wellbeing; Life events; RCTs; Systematic reviews
- Email: G.Traviss@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0825
- Location: 10.39b Worsley Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
Gemma is a Lecturer in Primary Care and Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority (SFHEA). She has worked at the University for over 10 years. She trained as a psychologist at Sheffield Hallam University and went on to complete her PhD with Professor Andrew Hill at the University of Leeds evaluating a guided self-help intervention for eating disorders. Her research interests focus on understanding the psychosocial antecedents of common mental health problems and co-designing and evaluating brief psychological interventions. She has a particular interest in understanding behaviour change around physical activity, eating and weight disorders. Gemma is a trained user of the Life Events and Difficulties Schedule (LEDS) and Computerised Life Events Assessment Record (CLEAR).
Gemma has expertise in conducting randomized controlled trials. She has experience of using both quantitative (questionnaire design) and qualitative (thematic analysis, framework analysis, focus groups, interviews) approaches. She is experienced in conducting systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
Gemma is Chief Investigator on a Diabetes-UK funded study - adapting an online intervention for the management of binge eating in adults with Type 2 diabetes. She has worked on a number of NIHR-funded trials including CASPER and CASPER+ and currently the MODS - Multimorbidity in Older Adults (£2.4m) and BASIL (Behavioural Activation in Social Isolation) Studies.
Gemma is Assessment Lead for Year 1 of the MBChB and teaches and supervises on this course and the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClin.).
Professional activities; Organising Committee SAPC ASM Leeds 2020, Conference Standing Committee for the British Psychological Society, School of Medicine Athena Swan committee, Reviewer for the following journals - Lancet Psychiatry, International Journal of Eating Disorders, Journal of Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment, Journal of Youth Studies.
- Assessment Lead Year 1 MBChB
- Athena Swan SAT Committee
- SAPC ASM Organising Committee
- Chartered Psychologist CPsychol. (2015)
- Senior Fellow HEA (2020)
- PhD Medicine - University of Leeds (2010)
- Postgraduate Diploma Psychology - Sheffield Hallam University (2009)
- BSc. Sports Science & Social Science - Loughborough University (2006)
- Chartered Member of British Psychological Society
Gemma has a wealth of experience of both teaching and supervising. She is currently Assessment Lead for Year 1 Undergraduate Medicine (MBChB) and was the former Programme Leader for the Core Psychiatry Training Course (CPTC) and MSc in Psychiatry. She currently teaches and leads assessment on the MBChB and supervises on the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and Postgraduate Programmes in Health Research.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- The Health and Wellbeing of Older People