Dr Gemma Traviss-Turner CPsychol.
- Position: Lecturer in Primary Care
- Areas of expertise: Behaviour change - Disordered eating, Physical activity, Wellbeing; Life events; RCTs; Systematic reviews
- Email: G.Traviss@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0825
- Location: 10.39b Worsley Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
Gemma is a Lecturer in Primary Care and has worked at the University for over 10 years. She trained as a psychologist at Sheffield Hallam University and went on to complete her PhD with Professor Andrew Hill at the University of Leeds evaluating a guided self-help intervention for eating disorders. Her research interests focus on understanding the psychosocial antecedents of common mental health problems and co-designing and evaluating psychological interventions. She has a particular interest in understanding behaviour change around physical activity, eating and weight disorders. Gemma is a trained user of the Life Events and Difficulties Schedule (LEDS) and Computerised Life Events Assessment Record (CLEAR).
Gemma has expertise in conducting randomized controlled trials. She has experience of using both quantitative (questionnaire design) and qualitative (thematic analysis, framework analysis, focus groups, interviews) approaches. She is experienced in conducting systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
Gemma has worked on a number of NIHR-funded trials including CASPER and CASPER+, a Maternal mental health project looking at life events during pregnancy in relation to ethnicity and is currently Local Trial Co-ordinator on the MODS Study - Multimorbidity in Older Adults (£2.4m).
Gemma is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority (SFHEA). She is Assessment Lead for Year 1 of the MBChB and teaches and supervises on this course and the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClin.).
Professional activities; Organising Committee SAPC ASM Leeds 2020, Conference Standing Committee for the British Psychological Society, Athena Swan committee LIHS, Reviewer for the following journals - Lancet Psychiatry, International Journal of Eating Disorders, Journal of Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment, Journal of Youth Studies.
- Assessment Lead Year 1 MBChB
- Athena Swan SAT Committee
- SAPC ASM Organising Committee
- Chartered Psychologist CPsychol. (2015)
- PhD Medicine - University of Leeds (2010)
- Postgraduate Diploma Psychology - Sheffield Hallam University (2009)
- BSc. Sports Science & Social Science - Loughborough University (2006)
- Chartered Member of British Psychological Society
Gemma is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Authority (SFHEA) and has a wealth of experience of both teaching and supervising. She is currently Assessment Lead for Year 1 Undergraduate Medicine (MBChB) and was the former Programme Leader for the Core Psychiatry Training Course (CPTC) and MSc in Psychiatry. She currently teaches and leads assessment on the MBChB and supervises on the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and Postgraduate Programmes in Health Research.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- The Health and Wellbeing of Older People