Dr Jonathan Sandoe
- Position: Associate Professor (Consultant)
- Areas of expertise: antimicrobial prescribing; antimicrobial stewardship; infective endocarditis; healthcare associated infection; antimicrobial resistance.
- Email: J.Sandoe@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 392 8783
- Location: Microbiology, Old Medical School, Leeds General Infirmary and Clinical Sciences Building, St James H
- Website: Twitter | Researchgate | ORCID
- 31/10/2013-present: Associate Clinical Professor Microbiology, University of Leeds and Honorary Consultant Medical Microbiologist, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
- 01/01/06-30/10/2013: Consultant Medical Microbiologist, Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust and Honorary Senior Lecturer Medical Microbiology, University of Leeds.
Active Research Grants
- Procalcitonin: Effect of Procalcitonin on Antibiotic use in COVID-19 Hospitalised patients (PEACH). Ref 122851. NIHR R&L £731,858. Co-Chief investigator.
- LC2 droplet biosensors: Lipid-coated Crustal Droplets as Highly Sensitive, Selective Sensors of Bacterial Toxins and other Bio-active Molecules EPSRC £1,012,248.68 Co-Investigator
- Penicillin allergy status and its effect on antimicrobial prescribing, patient outcomes, and antimicrobial resistance. Short title: ALABAMA: Allergy, Antibiotics and Microbial Resistance Reference number RP-PG-1214-20007 NIHR-PGfR £2,459,665.00 Co-Chief Investigator
- Proposal Title: Accelerating Development of Infection Diagnostics for Patient Management and Reduction of Antibiotic Misuse. Reference: MR/N014243/1 MRC£3,694,851.00 Co-Investigator
Consultant microbiologist contributing to antimicrobial stewardship in LTHT. In such a large hospital Trust (1700+ beds) this is a complex process involving a multitude of interventions, including having developed novel processes for developing evidence-based guidelines for treating a wide range of infections encountered in Leeds and also designing web-based resources for accessing and developing new guidelines. Co-run the Leeds Endocarditis Service – a specialist ward-based service established to review patients with a suspected or confirmed diagnosis of infective endocarditis.
- Antimicrobial stewardship - optimising the use of antimicrobial therapy to improve patient outcomes and reduce antimicrobial resistance - through improved diagnosis of infection, big data analysis and treatment trials.
- Healthcare associated infections (particularly medical device associated) diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
- Infective endocarditis - diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
- Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists (London, 2007)
- PhD Medical Microbiology, (Leeds, 2005)
- Member of the Royal College of Pathologists (London, 2004)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (Leeds, 1998)
- Bachelor of Medicine (Manchester, 1992); Bachelor of Surgery (Manchester, 1992)
- Chairman British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy endocarditis working party
- Chairman BSAC vascular graft infection working party
- Member of the British Heart Valve Society working party
- Advisor to the British National formulary
Medical undergraduate lectures and tutorials; dental undergraduate lectures; supervisor for medical student extended student lead research projects (ESREP). Educational and clinical supervisor for post graduate medical training.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's
- Healthcare Associated Infection Research Group