Dr Alicja Piotrkowicz
- Position: Wellcome Trust ISS Fellow
- Areas of expertise: text analytics; data science; personalisation and adaptation; learning analytics; natural language processing; healthcare communication
- Email: A.Piotrkowicz@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 7.09 Worsley Building
- Website: Research Blog of Alicja Piotrkowicz | Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | ORCID
I'm currently a Wellcome Trust ISSF Fellow at the Leeds Institute of Medical Education.
I obtained my PhD in Computing from the University of Leeds in 2018. My PhD project was on modelling the social media popularity of news articles using headlines. My background is in linguistics.
I'm involved in several projects:
- Automatic Health Literacy Scoring and Adaptation of Health Texts for Improved Patient Comprehension: I'm developing a research proposal on using AI methods to personalise information for patients using automatic health literacy scoring, in order to aid comprehension.
- myPAL: My work involves analysing data relating to medical students’ work placements, in order to develop innovative learning analytics approaches. I use methods from a variety of domains, including natural language processing and machine learning.
- Active Video Watching: I use learning analytics to understand engagement in active video watching for soft skill learning.
I’m interested in using data-driven approaches to capture complex user behaviours in communication and education.
- PhD Computing (University of Leeds)
- MPhil Theoretical and Applied Linguistics (University of Cambridge)
- BA Japanese and Linguistics (School of Oriental and African Studies)
- Association for Computing Machinery
- European Association of Technology Enhanced Learning
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Education