- Position: Involvement and Engagement Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Patient and Public Involvement (PPI); public engagement; participatory research; applied theatre and performance; creative approaches to public involvement and engagement; facilitation.
- Email: D.P.Muir@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8609
- Location: Worsley Building
- Website: Performing Health - personal blog | Twitter
I am the Operational Lead for Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) at Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research (LICTR). I also work as a Public Involvement Advisor for the National Institute for Health Research, Research Design Service Yorkshire and Humber (NIHR RDSYH).
I have a background in performance and am interested in how arts based approaches can be used to facilitate meaningful, inclusive conversations about health. In 2015 I was awarded a Wellcome Trust Engagement Fellowship to further explore this interest.
I work closely with the skin research team at LICTR. As part of that I facilitate the Pressure Ulcer Research Service User Network (PURSUN). PURSUN is made up of people with personal experience of pressure ulcers or pressure ulcer risk (i.e. patients, carers and family members). Network members use their experiences to inform research and practice.
I have helped to develop involvement and engagement best practice localy and nationally. For example, I chair the LICTR involvement and engagement working group, I contributed to national guidance on PPI in clinical trials and have authored a book chapter on Public Involvement in Qualitative Research. I am also part of the University of Leeds Engagement Champions Network (NEC Net) and a mentor on the Engagement Excellence Scheme (EES) (https://comms.leeds.ac.uk/public-engagement/people-development/).
- Public Involvement and Engagement Lead for LICTR
- Public Involvement Advisor for the Research Design Service Yorkshire and Humber (RDSYH)
Public involvement in pressure ulcer research e.g.
Creative approaches to public involvement and engagement e.g.
Lost in Memories - dementia theatre project
Reaching Out - Engagement project with Gypsy and Traveller Communities
‘Whose Decision is it Anyway’ – Using applied theatre approches with GP Patient Participation Groups (PPGs)
Involvement and engagement within clinical trials research e.g.
Ethically conscious involvement and engagement e.g.
- BA Hons Acting, University of Leeds
- Member of the RDSYH Public Involvement Funds Review Panel (past chair)
- Member of the RDSYH Public Involvement Forum (past chair)
- Member of NIHR Voices - regional public involvement network (past chair)
- Deputy chair of the Research Design Service Public Involvement Community (RDS PIC)
- Member of the UKCRC Registered Clinical Trials Units Network Public Involvement and Engagement Group
- Member of the International Collaboration for Participatory Health Research (ICPHR)
- Member of the UK Participatory Research Network
I currently deliver sessions on involvement, engagement and writing in plain English for post graduate level modules across the Faculty of Medicine and Health
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research