- Position: Visiting Professor
- Areas of expertise: In Vitro Diagnostics (IVDs), Health Technology Assessment, Biomarkers, Precision Medicine, Personalised Medicine , Biomedical Metrology, Medical Device Regulation
- Email: M.P.Messenger@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 206 5267
- Location: Leeds Centre for Personalised Medicine and Health, Worsley Building Worsley Building
- Website: Leeds In Vitro Diagnostics Co-Operative | LinkedIn
Mike is currently Head of Diagnostics at the UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) where he leads scientific programmes to ensure safe and effective IVDs are available to UK patients, including the development of the UK’s future IVD regulations and implementation of the EU IVDR in Northern Ireland.
He has worked in the Medical Technologies Industry for 20 years, with a career spanning Pharmaceuticals, Advanced Therapies, Medical Devices, In Vitro Diagnostics (IVDs) and Artificial Intelligence. He recently played an extensive role during the COVID 19 pandemic where he led development of the MHRA Target Product Profiles for IVDs, supported the G7’s 100 day mission work, co-chaired two UK government COVID Test Validation Groups, and co-developed the NIHR CONDOR national diagnostic platform trial. He was also an advisor to the UK Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Antibody Testing, the UK National Crime Agency, the EU commission and the NICE Expert Advisory Group for COVID19 testing.
His research focuses on refining and improving the methods, processes and environment for progressing diagnostic innovation towards market approval and patient benefit. He is a co-inventor of the Pinpoint AI based test for cancer and previously established the Leeds Centre for Personalised Medicine and Health and the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) In-Vitro Diagnostic Co-Operative in Leeds.
- BsC (Hons) - Biotechnology
- PhD - Biomedical Engineering