Dr Mike Messenger
- Position: Head of Personalised Medicine and Health
- Areas of expertise: In Vitro Diagnostics (IVDs), Health Technology Assessment, Biomarkers, Precision Medicine, Personalised Medicine , Biomedical Metrology
- Email: M.P.Messenger@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 206 5267
- Location: Leeds Centre for Personalised Medicine and Health, Worsley Building Worsley Building
- Website: Leeds Centre for Personalised Medicine and Health | Leeds In Vitro Diagnostics Co-Operative | Twitter | LinkedIn
As Head of the Leeds Centre for Personalised Medicine and Health, my role invovles matching population health and care needs with excellent science and innovation, as part of the Leeds Academic Health Partnership. The Partnership identifies, attracts and implements innovation and inward investment that responds to the challenges facing health and care, including reducing health inequalities across the city.
I am also the Deputy Director of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Leeds MedTech and In-Vitro Diagnostic Co-Operative (MIC), an industry facing collaboration aimed at catalysing evaluations of commercial tests and providing evidence for NHS adoption. Since 2013 the MIC has evaluated >35 diagnostics, leveraged more than £60M of investment and contributed evidence towards 9 clinical guidelines.
As a standing member of the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Diagnostics Advisory Committee, I provides advice to NICE on the formulation of guidance on diagnostic technologies and any other matter related to the evaluation of diagnostic technologies. I am also an expert advisor on In Vitro Diagnostics to the European Union, Genomics Canada, CRUK, MRC and industry.
- Head of Leeds Centre for Personalised Medicine and Health
- Deputy Director NIHR MedTech and In Vitro Diagnostic Co-Operative
Selected ongoing research and innovation programmes:
- BsC (Hons) - Biotechnology
- PhD - Biomedical Engineering