Professor Gary Latchford
- Position: Professor of Clinical Psychology
- Areas of expertise: Clinical psychology; Cystic Fibrosis; Chronic illness; adherence; motivational interviewing; psychotherapy process
- Email: G.Latchford@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2736
- Location: Room 1095a, Level 10 Worsley Building
I am the Joint Programme Director for the Clinical Psychology Training Programme, and also oversee the research components of the DClinPsychol as Research Director. I am an HCPC registered clinical and health psychologist.
I studied for a PhD at the University of Edinburgh under Professor Colwyn Trevarthen, and then completed clinical training in Leeds in 1991. I was head of adult medical psychology in Leeds Teaching Hospiptals until 2014.
I am past Joint Chair of the UK Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology.
- Joint Director, Clinical Psychology Training Programme
My clinical and research interests are around coping and adherence in cystic fibrosis and other chronic illnesses. I am particularly interested in motivational interviewing, and training medical teams in how to improve adherence. I am also interested in psychotherapy, and exploring the process of change.
I have presented at national and international conferences on health and clinical psychology and have run workshops on motivational interviewing and adherence in the UK and worldwide.
- BSc (hons) Psychology
- MSc Clinical Psychology
- PhD Psychology
I teach on research skills, clinical health psychology, and psychotherapy process on the DClin programme. I also have more than twenty years experience in training psychologists and other health professionals in Motivational Interviewing.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- Psychological and Social Medicine