- Position: Visiting Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Medicines Optimisation; Cardiology; Medicines Adherence; Heart Failure; Ischaemic Heart Disease; Myocardial Infarction; Hypertension; PCSK9 inhibitors; Cardiometabolic; Anticoagulants; AF; Pharmacy
- Email: R.Khatib@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: The LIGHT
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
Dr Rani Khatib is a Consultant Pharmacist in Cardiology and Cardiovascular Research.
Dr Khatib belongs to the Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine (LICAMM), Faculty of Medicine and Health. A Visiting Associate Professor with a wealth of teaching and research experience contributing to the education of physicians, pharmacists, nurses, midwives and other healthcare professionals at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
At Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, he leads on the cardiology medicines and risk optimisation agenda across the secondary and primary care pathways in Leeds. He is an independent prescriber with direct patient responsibility.
He leads on the delivery of the following multidisciplinary medicines optimisation clinics:
- Post Myocardial Infarction Medicines Optimisation Clinics
- Heart Failure Virtual Medicines Optimisation Clinic
- Innovative Medicines Clinic - PCSK9 Inhibitors and statin intolerance
- Advanced Cardiology Medicines Optimison Clinic
- Cardiometabolic Post MI Clinics
Rani is well published, holds several research grants, principal investigator and co-investigator of several trials with specific interest in medicine adherence and medicines and risk optimisation in cardiology.
Lead author of the NICE endorsed, NHS England national lipids management and statin intolerance pathways.
Lead author and developer of the MYMEDS tool, for assessing medicines adherence barriers among patients with post-myocardial infarction.
Professional Bodies Membership and Roles
- National Clinical Champion for PCSK9i and Lipid Management, Accelerated Access Collaborative, NHS England.
- Member of the NICE Heart Failure Guideline Committee
- Fellow of Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Chair of the UK Clinical Pharmacy Association, Cardiology Group.
- Science Committee member at the European Society of Cardiology - Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professions.
- Member of the Cardiology Allied Professionals Task Force at the European Society of Cardiology.
Earned multiple recognitions and awards for innovation and excellence in patient care. At the University of Bradford he is an Honorary Clinical Research Fellow.
Post Myocardial Infarction Medicines Optimisation
Patient Centred Practice
PCSK9 inhibitors & lipid management
Cardiometabolic medicines and risk optimisation
- General Pharmaceutical Council
- UK Clinical Pharmacy Association
- European Society of Cardiology
- Royal Pharmaceutical Society
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine