Professor Andrew Hill
- Position: Professor of Medical Psychology
- Areas of expertise: Obesity and weight management; eating disorders; appetite control; young people's mental health and well-being.
- Email: A.J.Hill@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2734
- Location: Worsley Building
- Website: ORCID
I finished my undergraduate degree in Psychology in 1979 and went on to complete a PhD at Leeds working with Professor John Blundell. I joined what was the Department of Psychiatry at Leeds University in 1988 as Lecturer in Behavioural Sciences. In this role I developed and coordinated the teaching of psychology and sociology to medical students.
I was awarded a personal Chair in 2006 and was Head of the Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences from 2008 to 2017. In 2009 I took the role of Director of Student Progression in the School of Medicine. I chair the Progress Committee that is responsible for monitoring the progress of all students on taught programmes during their academic career and acting on behalf of the School in making recommendations to the University.
I am currently an Honorary Professor at The Boden Institute of Obesity, Nutrition Exercise & Eating Disorders, Sydney University School of Medicine.
- Director of Student Progression
- Co-lead of I&P1 (MBChB Year 1)
These are broad but relate mainly to psychological issues relating to appetite control, obesity and eating disorders. Current activity is focused on the following:
Psychological issues in obesity
Dieting and weight management
Eating disorders and disordered eating
Weight and shape self-perception in children/adolescents
Appetite control, including food craving
- Young people's mental health and well-being
- BSc (Leeds)
- PhD (Leeds)
- CPsychol (chartered psychologist)
I am co-lead and provider of teaching on the Year 1 MB ChB Individuals and Populations course. I also contribute to Year 1 MBChB Body Systems. In post-graduate responsibilities, I teach on the Psychiatry continuing professional development course and the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology programme. I am the University Link Tutor for collaborative provision for courses delivered by the Northern School of Child & Adolescent Psychotherapy.
Research groups and institutes
- Psychological and Social Medicine
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- Mental health