Dr Wendy J Harrison
- Position: Lecturer in Biostatistics
- Areas of expertise: Data analytical methods for complex observational health data; multilevel modelling; latent variable modelling; causal inference; applications in obesity, cancer epidemiology, paediatric cardiology
- Email: W.Harrison@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4831
- Location: Level 11, Leeds Institute for Data Analytics, Worsley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am a Lecturer in Biostatistics in the School of Medicine and the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics (LIDA). I have a BSc(hons) in Mathematics and Physics, an MSc in Medical Statistics and a PhD in Latent Variable Modelling for Complex Observational Health Data.
I first worked in the telecommunications industry, before pursuing a career change. After attaining my MSc, I worked within the NHS for three years as a statistician in the Northern and Yorkshire Cancer Registry and Information Service (NYCRIS) before moving to the University of Leeds in 2007. Since then, I have developed my expertise in data analytics through my PhD studies and collaborative research projects. I have also gained qualifications and experience in teaching, leading to Fellowship of the HEA and to a PGCLTHE qualification in 2011.
- Research, Evaluation and Special Studies (RESS) Year 2 ICU Lead
- Latent Variable Modelling for MSc Health Data Analytics co-manager
My research interests lie in the development and application of data analytical methods relevant to causal inference for observational data. I have particular expertise in multilevel and latent variable modelling, and an enthusiasm for tackling previously intractable problems arising from the inherent complexities of observational data. I have a strong interest in the application of methodological advances in causal inference to a wide range of applied contexts, including obesity, cancer epidemiology and paediatric cardiology.
- PhD Latent Variable Modelling for Complex Observational Health Data
- PGCLTHE (merit)
- MSc Medical Statistics
- BSc(hons) Combined Studies Mathematics / Physics
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (GradStat)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
I lead a large medical undergraduate module in Year 2 of the MBChB, with focus on developing medical students' understanding of research and evaluation skills. I also make substantial contributions to teaching in other areas of the MBChB across Years 1-3, through lecturing and small-group teaching.
I co-manage and lecture on a postgraduate module for the MSc in Health Data Analytics, with a focus on latent variable methods, and I co-deliver the LIDA Summer School "Causal inference with observational data: challenges and pitfalls".
Current Postgraduate Research Students
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Clinical and Population Science
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics