Dr Wendy J Harrison
- Position: Lecturer in Biostatistics
- Areas of expertise: Biostatistics; quantitative research methods; Undergraduate and Postgraduate student education
- Email: W.Harrison@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 8.001, Specialist Science Education Department, LICAMM, Worsley Building
- Website: Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID
I am a Lecturer in Biostatistics within the Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine (LICAMM), School of Medicine.
I gained a BSc(hons) in Mathematics and Physics, and an MSc in Medical Statistics before working in the NHS for three years as a statistician in the Northern and Yorkshire Cancer Registry and Information Service (NYCRIS). I moved to the University of Leeds in 2007. I have since developed expertise in data analytics through studying for a PhD and working on collaborative research projects within the Leeds Institute for Data Analytics (LIDA). I have also gained qualifications and experience in teaching, leading to Fellowship of the HEA in 2009 and to a PGCLTHE qualification in 2011. I graduated with a PhD in Latent Variable Modelling for Complex Observational Health Data in 2017.
In 2020, I moved to the Specialist Science Education Department to focus on student education.
- Programme lead, MSc Health Informatics with Data Science
- ICU co-lead, Research, Evaluation and Special Studies (RESS) Year 2
I have a strong interest in the application of methodological advances in causal inference to a wide range of applied contexts, including obesity, cancer epidemiology and paediatric cardiology. With a focus on student education, I aim to use my research interests to inform my teaching and to ensure students are exposed to a broad range of quantitative statistical methods, including those at the cutting edge of research.
- PhD Latent Variable Modelling for Complex Observational Health Data
- MSc Medical Statistics
- BSc(hons) Combined Studies Mathematics / Physics
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society (GradStat)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
I lead a revised MSc programme in Health Informatics with Data Science, due to recommence in 2022/23. I also lead a large medical undergraduate module in Year 2 of the MBChB, with focus on developing medical students' understanding of research and evaluation skills. I make substantial contributions to teaching in other areas of the MBChB across Years 1-3, through lecturing and small-group teaching. I also contribute teaching on quantitative research methods across a number of postgraduate modules.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Specialist Science Education
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics