Professor John P Greenwood
- Position: Professor (Cardiology)
- Areas of expertise: Clinical applications of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance imaging; Percutaneous Coronary Intervention; Stable Coronary Artery Disease; Acute Coronary Syndromes; Myocardial infarction; Primary PCI
- Email: J.Greenwood@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 392 8483
- Location: LIGHT building
- Website: ORCID
John Greenwood is a Professor of Cardiology in the Leeds Institute for Cardiovascular and Diabetes Research (LICAMM) and Consultant Cardiologist at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, where he specialises in coronary intervention and cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) imaging.
He qualified in medicine from Leeds in 1991 and after general medical training in Yorkshire undertook a clinical PhD in Leeds, funded by the British Heart Foundation.
His main area of research is the diagnosis and treatment of stable and unstable coronary artery disease. In terms of diagnostics, this particularly involves the use of CMR in terms of its development and validation through clinical trials. He was Chief Investigator on the landmark CE-MARC trial (Lancet 2012) which compared the diagnostic accuracy, cost-effectiveness and prognostic ability of CMR and SPECT against X-ray angiography. He was also Chief Investigator of the BHF funded, CE-MARC II trial, a UK multi-centre, 3-way RCT comparing the management strategies of CMR vs. MPS-SPECT vs. UK NICE guidelines (CG95) for patients with stable chest pain. In terms of therapeutics, he is collaborating on a number of major multi-centre clinical trials designed to improve outcomes in patients undergoing primary PCI for acute ST elevation myocardial infarction.
He is currently president of the British Cardiovascular Society (BCS) and sits on RCP London Council. He is the immediate past-president of BSCMR (British Society of Cardiovascular MR), past-Chair of the SCMR clinical trials committee and member of the SCMR scientific programme committee (2016-2019). For 10 years Prof. Greenwood led the supra-regional CMR service in Leeds, one of the UKs largest, and as an interventional cardiologist actively contributes to the coronary intervention service for West Yorkshire, including the regional primary PCI service. He is Director of the Cardiovascular Clinical Research Facility at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Director, Cardiovascular Clinical Research Facility (LTHT)
- Past-President, British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (BSCMR)
- President, British Cardiovascular Society (BCS)
His main research interests include:
1. The clinical applications of CMR imaging, in particular for patients with ischaemic heart disease (both chronic stable angina and acute coronary syndromes). This includes the development and validation of multi-parametric CMR protocols and their evaluation through clinical trials. Current major projects include: a) Chief investigator on a large scale, UK multi-centre trial of CMR vs. NICE guidelines for the management of patients with suspected angina (the BHF funded CE-MARC II trial). This includes a health economic evaluation of the two strategies and assessment of the impact on prognosis and patient quality of life. b) CMR assessment of valvular heart disease. This includes assessment of transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) and surgical aortic valve replacement (SAVR) in terms of cerebral embolic risk, vascular and ventricular remodelling, patient quality of life measures and a sensitive battery of neurocognitive assessment tools. This work is now extending into assessment and treatment of mitral regurgitation, including surgical repair, replacement and percutaneous treatment options. c) Using a CMR compatible cycle ergometer to assess cardiovascular physiological response to exercise in patients with valvular and congenital heart disease.
2. Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, in particular pharmacological and mechanical approaches to reducing infarct size and microvascular obstruction during primary PCI for STEMI. My PCI research compliments my CMR research in that CMR is now used as an end point measurement in many of our interventional clinical trials.
Key recent publications:
JB Augusto, R Davies, A Bhuva, K Knott, A Seraphim, M Alfarih, C Lau, R Hughes, L Lopes, H Shiwani, TA Treibel, B Gerber, CH Craig, N Ntusi, G Pontone, MY Desai, JP Greenwood, PP Swoboda, G Captur, J Cavalcante, C Bucciarelli-Ducci, SE Petersen, E Schelbert, C Manisty, JC Moon. Diagnosis and Risk Stratification in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy using Machine Learning Wall Thickness Measurement: a Comparison with Human Test-Retest Performance. The Lancet Digital Health 2021; 3(1)e20-e28.
A Jabbar, L Ingoe, S Junejo, P Carey, C Addison, H Thomas, JD Parikh, D Austin, KG Hollingsworth, DD Stocken, SHS Pearce, JP Greenwood, A Zaman, S Razvi. Effect of levothyroxine on left ventricular ejection fraction in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism and acute myocardial infarction: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2020;324(3):249-258.
PJ McCartney, AM Maznyczka, H Eteiba, M McEntegart, KG Oldroyd, JP Greenwood, N Maredia, M Schmidt, G McCann, T Fairbairn, E McAlindon, C Tait, P Welsh, N Sattar, V Orchard, D Corcoran, A Radjenovic, I Ford, A McConnachie, C Berry, for the T-TIME investigators. Low-Dose Alteplase During Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention According to Ischemic Time. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020; 75(12):1406-1421.
RJ Everett, TA Treibel, M Fukui, H Lee, M Rigolli, A Singh, P Bijsterveld, L Tastet, T Al Musa, L Dobson, C Chin, G Captur, SY Om, S Wiesemann, VM Ferreira, SK Piechnik, J Schulz-Menger, EB Schelbert, MA Clavel, DE Newby, S Myerson, P Pibarot, S Lee, JL Cavalcante, SP Lee, G McCann, JP Greenwood, JC Moon, MR Dweck. Extracellular Myocardial Volume in Patients With Aortic Stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2020; 75(3):304-316.
AH Gershlick, AS Banning, E Parker, D Wang, CA Budgeon, DJ Kelly, PO Kane, M Dalby, SL Hetherington, GP McCann, JP Greenwood, N Curzen. Long Term Follow-Up of the Randomized Trial of Complete Versus Lesion-Only Revascularization in Patients Undergoing Primary Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for STEMI and Multivessel Disease - The CvLPRIT Trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 2019; 74(25):3083-3094.
DJ Hausenloy, RK Kharbanda, UK Møller, M Ramlall, J Aarøe, R Butler, H Bulluck, T Clayton, A Dana, M Dodd, T Engstrom, R Evans, JF Lassen, EF Christensen, JM Garcia-Ruiz, DA Gorog, J Hjort, RF Houghton, B Ibanez, R Knight, FK Lippert, JT Lønborg, M Maeng, D Milasinovic, R More, JM Nicholas, LO Jensen, A Perkins, N Radovanovic, RD Rakhit, J Ravkilde, AD Ryding, MR Schmidt, IS Riddervold, HT Sørensen, G Stankovic, M Varma, I Webb, CJ Terkelsen, JP Greenwood, DM Yellon, HE Bøtker, on behalf of the CONDI-2/ERIC-PPCI Investigators. A single-blind randomised controlled trial investigating the effect of remote ischaemic conditioning on clinical outcomes in patients with acute myocardial infarction: The CONDI-2/ERIC-PPCI trial. The Lancet 2019; 394(10207):1415-1424.
- E Nagel, JP Greenwood, GP McCann, N Bettencourt, AM Shah, ST Hussain, D Perera, S Plein, C Bucciarelli-Ducci, M Paul, MA Westwood, M Marber, WS Richter, VO Puntmann, C Schwenke, J Schulz-Menger, R Das, J Wong, DJ Hausenloy, H Steen. C Berry, on behalf of the MR-INFORM Investigators. Magnetic Resonance Perfusion or Fractional Flow Reserve in Coronary Disease. New England Journal of Medicine 2019;380:2418-28.
- PJ McCartney, H Eteiba, AM Maznyczka, M McEntegart, JP Greenwood, DF Muir, S Chowdhary, AH Gershlick, C Appleby, JM Cotton, A Wragg, N Curzen; KG Oldroyd, M Lindsay, JP Rocchiccioli, A Shaukat, R Good, S Watkins, K Robertson, C Malkin, L Martin, L Gillespie, TJ Ford, MC Petrie, PW Macfarlane, RC Tait, P Welsh, N Sattar, RA Weir, KA Fox, I Ford, A McConnachie, C Berry, for the T-TIME investigators. Effect of low-dose intracoronary alteplase during primary percutaneous coronary intervention on microvascular obstruction in patients with acute myocardial infarction: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2019;321(1):56-68.
- Musa TA, Treibel TA, Vassiliou VS, Captur G, Singh A, Chin C, Dobson LE, Pica S, Loudon M, Malley T, Rigolli M, Foley JRJ, Bijsterveld P, Law GR, Dweck M, Myerson SG, McCann GP, Prasad SK, Moon JC, Greenwood JP. Myocardial Scar and Mortality in Severe Aortic Stenosis: Data from the BSCMR Valve Consortium. Circulation 2018; 138:1935-1947.
- GCM Siontis, D Mavridis, JP Greenwood, B Coles; A Nikolakopoulou, P Jüni, G Salanti, S Windecker. Outcomes of Non-invasive Diagnostic Modalities for the Detection of Coronary Artery Disease: A Network Meta-analysis of Diagnostic Randomized Controlled Trials. British Medical Journal 2018; 360:k504. doi: 10.1136/bmj.k504.
- Singh A, Greenwood JP, Berry C, Dawson DK, Hogrefe K, Kelly DJ, Dhakshinamurthy V, Lang CC, Khoo JP, Sprigings D, Steeds RP, Jerosch-Herold M, Neubauer S, Prendergast B, Williams B, Zhang R, Hudson I, Squire IB, Ford I, Samani NJ, McCann GP. Comparison of exercise testing and CMR measured myocardial perfusion reserve for predicting outcome in asymptomatic aortic stenosis: the PRognostic Importance of Microvascular Dysfunction in Aortic Stenosis (PRIMID AS) study. European Heart Journal 2017; 38:1222-1229.
- JP Greenwood, DP Ripley, C Berry, GP McCann, S Plein, C Bucciarelli-Ducci, E Dall’Armellina, A Prasad, P Bijsterveld, JR Foley, K Mangion, M Sculpher, S Walker, CC Everett, DA Cairns, LD Sharples, JM Brown. Effect of care guided by cardiovascular magnetic resonance, myocardial perfusion scintigraphy, or NICE guidelines on subsequent unnecessary angiography rates: a randomized trial (CE-MARC 2). JAMA 2016; 316(10):1051-1060.
- JP Greenwood, BA Herzog, JM Brown, CC Everett, J Nixon, P Bijsterveld, N Maredia, M Motwani, CJ Dickinson, SG Ball, S Plein. Prognostic Value of CMR and SPECT in Suspected Coronary Heart Disease: Long Term Follow-Up of the CE-MARC Study. Annals of Internal Medicine 2016; 165(1):1-9.
- SG Myerson, J d’Arcy, JP Christiansen, LE Dobson, R Mohiaddin, JM Francis, B Prendergast, JP Greenwood, TD Karamitsos, S Neubauer. Determination of clinical outcome in mitral regurgitation with cardiovascular magnetic resonance quantitation. Circulation 2016: 133:2287-2296.
- SA Nazir, GP McCann, JP Greenwood, V Kunadian, JN Khan, IZ Mahmoud, DJ Blackman, M Been, KR Abrams, L Shipley, R Wilcox, AAJ Adgey, AH Gershlick. Strategies to attenuate micro-vascular obstruction during P-PCI: The Randomized REperfusion Facilitated by Local Adjunctive Therapy in ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction (REFLO-STEMI) Trial. European Heart Journal 2016; 37(24):1910-9.
- AH Gershlick, J Khan, D Kelly, JP Greenwood, T Sasikaran, N Curzen, DJ Blackman, M Dalby, KL Fairbrother, W Banya, D Wang, M Flather, S Hetherington, AD Kelion, S Talwar, M Gunning, R Hall, H Swanton, G McCann. Randomised trial of complete versus lesion only revascularisation in patients undergoing primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST elevation myocardial infarction and multi-vessel disease: The Complete versus Lesion-only Primary PCI Trial (CvLPRIT). J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 65(10):963-72.
- AC Morton, AMK Rothman, JP Greenwood, J Gunn, A Chase, B Clarke, AS Hall, K Fox, C Foley, W Banya, D Wang, MD Flather, DC Crossman. The effect of Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist therapy on markers of inflammation in non-ST elevation acute coronary syndromes: The MRC-ILA Heart Study. European Heart Journal 2015; 36(6):377-84.
- JP Greenwood, M Motwani, N Maredia, JM Brown, CC Everett, J Nixon, P Bijsterveld, CJ Dickinson, SG Ball, S Plein. Comparison of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography in Women with Suspected Coronary Artery Disease from the CE-MARC Trial. Circulation 2014; 129:1129-1138.
- JP Greenwood, N Maredia, JF Younger, JM Brown, J Nixon, CC Everett, P Bijsterveld, JP Ridgway, A Radjenovic, CJ Dickinson, SG Ball, S Plein. CE-MARC: A Prospective Evaluation of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance and Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography in Coronary Heart Disease. Lancet 2012; 379(9814): 453-460.
- E Camenzind, W Wijns, L Mauri, V Kurowski, K Parikh, R Gao, C Bode, JP Greenwood, E Boersma, P Vranckx, E McFadden, PW Serruys, WW O’Neil, B Jorissen, F Van Leeuwen, G Steg, for the PROTECT Steering Committee and Investigators. Stent thrombosis and major clinical events at 3 years after zotarolimus-eluting or sirolimus-eluting coronary stent implantation: a randomised multicentre open-label trial. Lancet 2012; 380(9851):1396-1405.
- British Cardiovascular Society (BCS)
- British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (BSCMR)
- Royal College of Physicians (RCP), London
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society (BCIS)
- European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI)
- European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI)
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Biomedical Imaging Science
- Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre