Dr Mohammed Waduud
- Position: BHF Clinical Research Training Fellow
- Areas of expertise: Arterial disease (i.e. abdominal aortic aneurysmal, peripheral vascular, carotid); Patient frailty; Obesity; Medical imaging; Surgical risk stratification; Vascular mechanosensory pathophysiology.
- Email: M.A.Waduud@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Level 7 LIGHT Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
I graduated in Medicine (MBChB, 2013) from the University of Glasgow having also completed an intercalated degree in Cardiovascular Sciences (BSc, 2011). Subsequently, I completed the Academic Foundation Programme (2013-2015) and Academic Core Surgical Programme (2015-2017) in the West of Scotland training deanery. Alongside my clinical commitments, I undertook a part-time masters degree in Surgical Sciences, with the University of Edinburgh, and my thesis focused on surgical imaging. During this time I also became a member of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (MRCS, 2017). Following this, I secured an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship in Vascular Surgery in the Yorkshire and Humber School of Surgery (2017-2018). Throughout this period I enhanced my academic competencies by completing a postgraduate certificate in Health Research (PgCert, 2018).
At present I hold a BHF Clinical Research Training Fellowship (2018-2021) which funds my PhD looking at the role of the mechanoreceptor Piezo1 in Abdominal Aortic Aneurysmal disease. I have also secured funding from the Lonescu Travelling Fellowship (2018) to visit the internationally renowned aortic centre in Munich to develop my murine microsurgical skills.
My clinical research interests at present are centred around patient risk stratification based on radiological markers obtained from routine clinical imaging in relation to patient frailty and obesity.
More recently I have attained funding from the LICAMM Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Scheme (2018) to develop the use of virtual reality in medical education focusing on vascular surgery.
- PgCert (Health Research), University of Leeds, 2018.
- Certificate in Clinical Education, University of Dundee, 2017
- MSc (Surgical Sciences), University of Edinburgh, 2016.
- MBChB, University of Glasgow, 2013.
- BSc (Medical Sciences, Cardiovascular), University of Glasgow, 2011.
- MRCS, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow, 2017.
- AFHEA, University of Leeds
I regularly volunteer my time for undergraduate teaching. At present, I lecture and deliver ward based teaching to final year medical students visiting the Leeds Vascular Institute (Leeds General Infirmary). I also supervise numerous undergraduate medical student research projects. I also act as a mentor to medical students through the University of Leeds Surgical Society, Cutting Edge.
In my spare time, I also volunteer to help with the University of Leeds Widening Access to Medicine initiative.
Furthermore, I co-supervise academic foundation year doctors during their academic rotation within the West Yorkshire training deanery.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Clinical academic training
- Groups and institutes