Dr Oly Todd
- Position: NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: Frailty, Ambulatory BP, Hypertension, Delirium
- Email: O.Todd@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research, Office 4 Bradford Institute for Health Research
- Website: Bradford Institute for Health Research | @geridata | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID | White Rose
I’m an NIHR Clinical Lecturer in Geriatric Medicine at the Academic Unit of Ageing and Stroke Research, University of Leeds and an Honorary Specialist Registrar in Geriatric and Internal Medicine at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, supervised primarily by Professor Andy Clegg (ASR), also supported by Professor Anne Forster (ASR), Dr Marlous Hall (LICAMM) and Professor Chris Gale (LIDA).
I studied medicine at Imperial College London, undertook foundation training in London and core medical training in Edinburgh. I then worked at Bethel, Bielefeld, Germany then at St Francis Hospital, Katete, Zambia. In 2015 I started an NIHR academic clinical fellowship with Prof Andy Clegg at University of Leeds. In 2021 I completed a PhD fellowship funded by Dunhill Medical Trust investigating the role of frailty to identify older people with hypertension who come to harm from BP lowering therapy.
I have a research interest in improving the care of older people with high blood pressure, and currently I am:
- Creating a new cohort study – the Bradford Ambulatory BP Study which will link the 24 hour BP records of 14,785 Bradford patients with their electronic health record data in primary, secondary and social care;
- Reviewing the literature to date in this area as part of a systematic review;
- Running a series of events with older patients who have hypertension, to determine where the gaps are in currrent care to inform future research.
- PhD, Leeds, 2021
- DTM&H, LSHTM, 2014
- DPMSA, Apothecaries, 2012
- MRCP, Edinburgh, 2011
- MBBS, BSc(Hons) Physiology, Imperial 2008
- Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh
- British Geriatrics Society
- British and Irish Hypertension Society
Please get in touch if you are:
- A person who has hypertension and is older than 75 years, and:
- interested in taking part in hypertension research
- A school student in Bradford area, and:
- interested in a career in Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics, we are planning summer placements for Year 12/13 students at Bradford Institute for Health Research in the Summer 2023;
- interested in a career in medicine, we run an Access to Medicine course for students wanting to study medicine, at Bradford Royal Infirmary, led by Professor Alex Brown and Jordan Vernon twice a year.
- A medical student at Leeds University medical school, and:
- interested in hypertension and cardiovascular physiology, I teach on the MBBS Year one curriculum, and offer related research projects;
- interested in clinical/ data research, we offer ESREP and medical elective projects in topics related to ageing research at the Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research.
- A junior doctor and:
- interested in undertaking an NIHR Academic Foundation Programme or NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship in ageing or data research, we offer placements at our unit, please get in touch;
- interested in undertaking an MD/ PhD with our unit, we have a strong record at our unit for supervision and support of early career researchers.
- A researcher interested in using big data for research into questions related to ageing, and:
- interested in joining our UK collaborative @geridata, which brings together researchers, clinicians and data scientists to improve access to and quality of big data research for older people.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research