Dr Oly Todd
- Position: NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: Frailty, Hypertension, Delirium
- Email: O.Todd@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research, Office 4 Bradford Institute for Health Research
- Website: Bradford Institute for Health Research | @geridata | Twitter | Googlescholar | ORCID | White Rose
I am an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer in Geriatric Medicine at the Academic Unit of Ageing and Stroke Research and an Honorary Specialist Registrar in Geriatric and Internal Medicine at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. I have a research interest in cardiovascular ageing. I chair the UK Ageing Data Research Collaborative (@geridata). This group promotes the use of routine electronic health records in ageing research. We are supported by the British Geriatrics Society (BGS). I’m also a member of the BGS Frailty and Sarcopenia Special Interest Group and the BGS Research and Academic Committee. I am a Grant reviewer for the BGS SpR Grant Award, and a member of the Leeds School of Medicine Research Ethics Committee. I’m a reviewer for Age and Ageing, BMC Geriatrics, International Journal of Epidemiology and JAGS.
I am supervised primarily by Professor Andy Clegg (AUASR), also supported by Professor Anne Forster (AUASR), and Professor Chris Gale (LIDA).
I recently completed a PhD fellowship funded by Dunhill Medical Trust investigating the role of frailty to identify older people with hypertension who come to harm from BP lowering therapy. I am currently developing a new platform of research emerging from this PhD in the field of cardiovascular ageing. I would be delighted to collaborate – if you have shared interests or are a health care professional from any background interested in trying out ageing research, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- PhD, Leeds, 2021
- DTM&H, LSHTM, 2014
- DPMSA, Apothecaries, 2012
- MRCP, Edinburgh, 2011
- MBBS, BSc(Hons) Physiology, Imperial 2008
- Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh
- British Geriatrics Society
- British and Irish Hypertension Society
I teach and have supervised undergraduate projects for the Cardiovascular Sciences BSc, Medical Ethics Year 2 programme, for Medical School Elective projects, and as part of the Research Special Study module, all at the Leeds Medical School. I have also taught on the Physicians Associate Clinical Training programme at the University of Bradford. I give bedside teaching to students preparing for OSCE, MRCP PACES exams, and as an ALS instructor.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research