Dr Oliver Todd
Oly is a doctoral research fellow funded for by Dunhill Medical Trust at the Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research, and a registrar specialising in geriatric and internal medicine at Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, with research interests in hypertension, frailty and delirium.
Oly is currently undertaking a PhD to examine whether frailty modifies the association of blood pressure and outcomes in older people.
With others across the UK, Oly has established the Ageing Data Research Collaborative (@geridata) to promote the use of routine electronic health records in ageing research, supported by the British Geriatrics Society. Key publications include a 2020 Age and Ageing Horizons review of the potential of routine data for geriatric research. Oly is also a member of the Geriatric Medicine Research Collaborative, the BGS Research and Academic Development Committee, and the BGS Frailty and Sarcopenia Special Interest Group. Oly is a reviewer for the journal of Age & Ageing.
Current PhD work involves:
- Epidemiological study using big data from primary care electronic health records
- Qualitative interviews – exploring how to share decision making with older people with frailty with respect to hypertension
- Systematic review and meta-analysis
- Todd O (2019) What is the predictive ability of frailty in the management of blood pressure in adults over 65 years with hypertension? External Validation Study Using Canadian Longitudinal Study of Ageing £2,858.70
- Todd O, Young J, Clegg A (2017) Optimising blood pressure management for older people with frailty. The Dunhill Medical Trust Research Training Fellowship £192,301
- MBBS, BSc(Hons) Physiology, Imperial 2008
- MRCP, Edinburgh, 2011
- DTM&H, LSHTM, 2014
- DPMSA, Apothecaries, 2012
- Health Research PGDip, Leeds, 2018
- Co-supervisor for intercalated BSc and MSc students
- OSCE examiner for Year 3 and final year medical students
- Faculty for 'Access to Medicine' course at Bradford Royal Infirmary
- ALS instructor candidate
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Academic Unit for Ageing and Stroke Research