Dr S Thomson
- Position: Honorary Clinical Associate Professor
- Areas of expertise: Neurosurgical Oncology
- Email: S.Thomson@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Jubilee Wing Leeds General Infirmary
- Website: ebrain | ORCID
Mr Thomson has been employed as a Consultant Neurosurgeon in Leeds General Infirmary since 2009. Mr Thomson's area of specialist interest is in Neurosurgical Oncology.
The Neurosurgical department is academically active, there are multiple clinical trials running at any one time in areas including Oncology, Spinal Surgery, Vascular Neurosurgery and Head Injury. The department is one of the leading Neurosurgical recruiters nationally to most of the major trials. Mr Thomson is the Chief Investigator for the NIHR funded FORVAD trial investigating whether anterior cervical discectomy or posterior cervical foraminotomy are superior in controlling neck disability in patients with cervical radiculopathy. This trial is delivered in association with the Leeds Clinical Trials Unit.
Mr Thomson sits on the Specialist Advisory Committee for Training in Neurosurgery with responsibility for the electronic logbook and the curriculum.
Mr Thomson is a clinical lead for the ebrain project which is a very large electronic learning programme for the whole of clinical neuroscience.
- Chief Investigator FORVAD trial
- Clinical Lead ebrain
Clinical trials in Surgical Neurooncology including phase 1 trials.
Other Neurosurgical clinical trials in association with colleagues as appropriate.
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Society of British Neurosurgeons
- British Neuroncology Society
- Joint Neurosciences Council
I supervise ESREP students and medical students on electives
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's