Mrs Lesley Smith (nee Fairley)
- Position: Senior Research Statistician
- Areas of expertise: cancer epidemiology; medical statistics; childhood cancer; ethnicity
- Email: L.F.Smith@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Level 11 Worsley Building
- Website: Yorkshire Specialist Register of Cancer in Children and Young People | Researchgate | ORCID
I joined the University of Leeds in March 2015 as a senior statistician working with the Yorkshire Specialist Register of Cancer in Children and Young People. Prior to this I was the senior statistician on the Born in Bradford birth cohort study and worked at the Northern and Yorkshire Cancer Registry and Information Service (NYCRIS). I have a background in medical statistics and epidemiology, completing an MSc in Medical Statistics in 2002. I am currently undertaking a part-time PhD focusing of modelling cure and long-term outcomes for children and young adults diagnosed with cancer. (due for completion in August 2020).
My current research is based on using data from the Yorkshire Specialist Register of Cancer in Children and Young People to investigate long term outcomes for children and young people diagnosed with cancer including evaluating the late effects of earlier cancer treatments using linked hospital admissions data. I am interested in using electronic health records for population based research, including working with large clinical data sets, the statistical methods relating to the analysis of routine health data, and the social determinants of health.
- MSc Medical Statistics
- BSc Mathematics and Statistics
- Member of the Society for Social Medicine and Population Health
- Member of the Children's Cancer and Leukaemia Group
I contribute to teaching on the MSc in Health Data Analytics.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Cancer Survivor Intelligence Group
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics