Miss Candice Downey
- Position: Clinical Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: surgical technology; wearables; vital signs monitoring; clinical trials; patient experience; qualitative research; health economics
- Email: C.L.Downey@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 7.26 Clinical Sciences Building, St James's University Hospital
- Website: Researchgate | ORCID
I obtained my MBChB from the University of Leeds in 2011, having undertaken a BSc in Physiology at King's College London in 2009.
Since graduation, I have been an integrated academic trainee, having undertaken an Academic Foundation Programme and an NIHR Academic Clinical Fellowship in General Surgery. I am currently undertaking an NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship.
My PhD involves continuous remote vital signs monitoring for hospital patients using a wearable, wireless patch. In addition to two clinical trials, the Fellowship includes a significant qualitative component to assess patients’ and nurses’ experiences of the new technology.
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's
- Academic Surgery Colorectal Research Group