Dr Richard Cubbon
- Position: University Academic Fellow and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist
- Areas of expertise: Vascular biology; Metabolism; Diabetes; Insulin Resistance; IGF-1; Heart Failure; Atherosclerosis; Endothelial (dys)function
- Email: R.Cubbon@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 0785
- Location: 7.04 LIGHT laboratories
- Website: LinkedIn | Googlescholar
I studied medicine at the University of Leicester, graduating in 2002. After gaining post-graduate accreditation as a physician, I completed a BHF-funded PhD in vascular biology at the University of Leeds under the supervision of Professor Mark Kearney. In 2009 I commenced a clinical lectureship in cardiology at the University of Leeds and was awarded a BHF intermediate clinical research fellowship in 2013, which included a one-year visiting fellowship to the laboratory of Peter Carmeliet in Leuven, Belgium. I completed my training as a cardiologist in 2015 and was simultaneously awarded a tenure-track University Academic Fellowship.
- British Heart Foundation Intermediate Clinical Fellow
- Deputy Director BHF 4-year PhD Programme
My research aims to define how metabolism from the cellular to the whole-body scale influences, or is influenced by, the vasculature. A major element of this work focuses on how diabetes and insulin resistance promote vascular diseases including endothelial dysfunction, atherosclerosis, and ineffective angiogenesis. Conversely, we also seek to determine how the vasculature orchestrates whole-body metabolism. These studies aim to define new therapeutic approaches for metabolic and vascular diseases.
I also conduct research in to the outcomes of people with heart failure, in particular aiming to refine prognostication and target therapeutic approaches to people with the greatest capacity to benefit. This work has led to emerging interests in cardio-oncology and multi-morbidity.
- MBChB (Hons)
- Royal College of Physicians
- British Atherosclerosis Society
- British Society for Cardiovascular Research
- European Vascular Biology Organisation
I am Deputy Director of the BHF 4-year PhD programme hosted by LICAMM. I supervise clinical and non-clinical PhD students along with intercalacting MBChB students. I provide theoretical and practical teaching to 1st and 5th year MBChB students.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Discovery and Translational Science
- British Heart Foundation - Cardiovascular research