Dr David Cairns
- Position: Associate Professor (Clinical Trials)
- Areas of expertise: Statistics; Clinical Trials
- Email: D.A.Cairns@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1712
- Location: 10.77, Level 10 Worsley Building
David is Associate Professor of Statistics in Late Phase Cancer Clinical Trials and the Director of Late Phase Trials in the Cancer Division at CTRU. David joined CTRU as a Principal Statistician working across the Cancer Division and Comprehensive Health Research Division in July 2013.
David was previously Senior Research Fellow in Biostatistics at the Leeds Institute of Cancer and Pathology where he worked in high-dimensional data analysis related to a number of translational projects in genetics, proteomics and biomarker discovery and validation. David was the recipient of an MRC Career Development Award in Biostatistics to undertake research in ‘Novel statistical methods for the design and analysis of proteomic experiments for biomarker discovery’.
- Director of Late Phase Studies in Cancer Division, CTRU
David is interested in the design and conduct of cancer clinical trials. He works primarily in haematological oncology (multiple myeloma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia) and some solid tumours (gastro-intestinal tract, urological and skin). David is interested in efficient clinical trials that are guided by biomarkers. He is interested in the role of adjunct translational research that brings added value to studies and new challenges in analysis.
- PhD Statistics (University of Sheffield)
- MSc Statistics (University of Sheffield)
- BSc Mathematics (University of Leeds)
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- NCRI Multiple Myeloma Subgroup (Member)
- NIHR Clinical Trial Fellowship Panel
- NIHR Development and Skills Enhancement Fellowship Panel
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Clinical Trials Research