- Position: Associate Professor in Diagnostic Radiography
- Areas of expertise: Paediatric Radiography; Interprofessional Learning; Admissions and recruitment; Student Transition; Student Support; Student Education; Student Success
- Email: M.L.Ellwood@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 6063
- Location: 8.01 Worsley
- Website: LinkedIn
The student experience has always been a primary motive for my involvement in student education since my initial appointment to the University of Leeds in 1999. Coming from a clinical radiography background I worked towards radiography education to inspire students and enhance the student experience. I am committed to my responsibility for their learning and teaching; to nurture and support their personal growth and development throughout their time at university; to help prepare them for graduate practice; and to be their advocate.
My appointment as Director of Student Education reflects my passion and commitment to student education. This gives me the opportunity to support colleagues in delivering the best student experience, and to work alongside students as they help shape their student experience.
- Director for Student Education (PG and Classified UG Programmes)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (University of Leeds)
- MSc Radiography (University of East Anglia)
- Diploma College of Radiographers (Diagnostic Radiography) (Addenbrookes School of Radiography)
- HCPC - registrant
- Higher Education Academy - Fellow
My academic career so far has provided a broad and rich experience in student education from the start of the student’s journey at admissions through to their graduation at undergraduate and postgraduate level. I am an experienced academic who has contributed to both undergraduate (BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography) and postgraduate education (MSc Physician Associate Studies) with an extensive portfolio of teaching and student support. I have held a range of roles including programme lead, admissions tutor, School Lead for Admissions, Associate Director of Student Education and module lead.
I have been described as a ‘passionate, engaging and enthusiastic’ lecturer. I strive to provide an inclusive learning environment where students feel welcome and engage in ways that they feel comfortable with. I am often inspired by our students and use any opportunity to shout ‘loud&proud’ about them.
I have held a number of external examiner appointments for radiography programmes, with current appointments at University of Suffolk (PGC Advanced Practice and Reporting in Computed Tomography Colonography) and Trinity College, Dublin (MSc Diagnosic Radiography).
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Leeds Institute of Medical Education