Gabriele De Marco
I qualified as a doctor of medicine and surgery in Italy (2003), then I completed my specialty training in rheumatology (2007, Italy).
I have collaborated to research projects in Italy before moving to Leeds:
- HERACLES project, a multi-centre study funded by the Italian charity Foundation for Research in Arthritis (FIRA onlus) and Pfizer Italia SRL. Total grant 60000 €.
- EPIPSOFIRE project, an epidemiological study funded by Pfizer Italia SRL. Total grant 30000 €.
I am first author or co-author of 17 publications on indexed medical journals:
- Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018 Jul 4. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/key199. [Epub ahead of print]. Combined inhibition of tumour necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-12/23 for long-standing, refractory psoriatic disease: a differential role for cytokine pathways?
- Rheumatology (Oxford). 2018 Jan 1;57(1):32-40. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/kex079. The problem in differentiation between psoriatic-related polyenthesitis and fibromyalgia.
- BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017; Vol. 18(1): 303. The GOLMePsA study protocol: an investigator-initiated, double-blind, parallel-group, randomised, controlled trial of GOLimumab and methotrexate versus methotrexate in early diagnosed psoriatic arthritis using clinical and whole body MRI outcomes.
- Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 2016; Vol. 75:1418-20. Evidence of response to IL-6 inhibition in some cases of refractory spondyloarthritis-associated peripheral synovitis.
- Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, 2015; Vol. 44: 542-50. Tumour necrosis factor alpha inhibitor therapy and rehabilitation for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis: A systematic review.
- Drug Development Research, 2014; Vol. 75, Suppl 1: S85-7. doi: 10.1002/ddr.21205. The EPIPSOFIRE project: A Preliminary Report.
- Rheumatology (Oxford), 2013; Vol. 52: 985. An overlooked cause of back pain and stiffness.
- Archives of Dermatological Research, 2012 Nov; Vol. 304(9): 719-26. Not simply a matter of psoriatic arthritis: epidemiology of rheumatic diseases in psoriatic patients.
- The Journal of Rheumatology, Suppl 2012 Jul; Vol. 89: 29-31. Entheseal power Doppler ultrasonography: a comparison of psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia.
- The Journal of Rheumatology, 2012; Vol. 39(4): 849-55. Identification of the clinical features distinguishing psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia.
- Rheumatology (Oxford), 2011; Vol. 50(12): 2317-8. A rare case of chondrocalcinosis in the left sterno-clavicular joint.
- Rheumatology (Oxford), 2010; Vol. 49(10): 2001. Macrophage activation syndrome after leflunomide treatment in an adult rheumatoid arthritis patient.
- The Journal of Rheumatology, 2010; Vol. 37(1): 155-60. Demographic and clinical features related to a symptomatic onset of Paget’s disease of bone.
- Reumatismo, 2009 Apr-Jun; Vol. 61(2): 125-31. Sopravvivenza a lungo termine del trattamento con methotrexate nell’Artrite Psoriasica.
- Reumatismo, 2007 Jan-Mar; Vol. 59(1): 50-6. Valutazione a lungo termine di infliximab nel trattamento dell’artrite idiopatica giovanile persistentemente attiva e refrattaria alle terapie convenzionali.
- Rheumatology (Oxford), 2007; Vol. 46(2): 308-13. Lymphoid neogenesis in juvenile idiopathic arthritis correlates with ANA positivity and plasma cells infiltration.
- Reumatismo, 2006 Jan-Mar; Vol. 58(1): 31-38. Effetti collaterali del trattamento con inibitori del TNFα nell’artrite idiopatica giovanile (paper awarded at the XLI Congress SIR, Stresa, Italy, 2004).
I have presented scientific results at international and Italian conferences/congresses, both in oral presentation and poster formats.
I have had experience as a consultant rheumatologist in Padova (Italy 2011-2015).
- Post-Graduate Student
Clinical effects of early-stage interventions in psoriatic arthritis (PsA), with a focus on comprehensive efficacy (i.e.: measurable responses across the spectrum of musculo-skeletal manifestations of PsA).
Measures of outcomes in spondyloarthritidies.
Multi-morbidity in spondyloarthropathies.
Advanced imaging in PsA.
- Specialist in rheumatology, 2007, Milan (Italy)
- Doctor in medicine and surgery, 2003, Milan (Italy)
- General Medical Council
Currently not involved in medical education.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Medicine