Dr Matthew Cotterill
- Position: Lecturer in Clinical Embryology
- Areas of expertise: Clinical Embryology; IVF & ICSI; Embryo Biopsy; Female and Male reproduction; Molecular biology
- Email: M.Cotterill@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 7.06 LIGHT Laboratories
I joined the University of Leeds in 2017 as a lecturer on both the distance learning (Clin Emb) and full time (CEART) MSc Clinical Embryology courses
I carried out clinical service as an Embryologist in a private fertility centre (2012 - 2016)
I obtained my PhD from the University of Leeds in 2009 (Gene Function during the development of ovine oocytes and ovarian follicles) before undertaking a post doctoral appointment in Leeds (2009-2012)
My professional journey in Assisted Reproductive Technologies began around 15 years ago when I joined the Reproduction and Early Development team in Leeds. My research focussed on the interactions of oocytes and their supporting cumulus cells by using molecular techniques to dissect genetic pathways in both cell compartments.
- Module Manager
- PhD Early Development and Reproduction
- BSc (Hons) Molecular Biology
- Association of Clinical Embryologists (ACE)
In my current role, I carry out teaching delivery and teaching administration activities to support the full-time CEART and part-time distance learning Clinical Embryology (ClinEmb) MSC programmes. I deliver lectures, tutorials, projects, assessed course work and exams for 5 shared, taught modules across the 2 programmes as well as practical laboratory skills training sessions to the CEART students. I am programme manager for two modules; a shared module on IVF and Embryo Culture and a shared module on Ethics and Law of Embryology.
I am a personal tutor for both CEART and ClinEmb students.
I am a member of the programme management committees for both courses.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine