Dr Florien Boele
I am a YCR University Academic Fellow with research interests in family caregiving, quality of life and symptom management in neuro-oncology. I joined the University of Leeds in 2016.
I obtained my PhD from the VU University in Amsterdam (2015) before being awarded a Niels Stensen Fellowship. This Fellowship allowed me to work with research groups in the University of Pittsburgh and the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh as a visiting research scholar (2015-2016). My academic background is in neuropsychology and I have experience with observational and intervention studies, using both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
My post is split between the LIHS Academic Unit of Health Economics and the LICAP Patient Reported Outcomes Group.
- Research Fellow
My research interests include family caregiving, quality of life and symptom management in (neuro-)oncology. I focus broadly on three main areas:
1) Understudied groups that may be more vulnerable and might have a greater need for support;
2) Patient-reported outcome measures to help assess the effects of supportive interventions;
3) Improving quality of life and access to support.
- PhD Medical Psychology
- MSc Clinical Neuropsychology
- BSc Psychology
- NCRI Psychosocial Oncology & Survivorship Clinical Studies Group (Trainee)
- NCRI Brain Supportive and Palliative Care Subgroup (Member)
- Cochrane Collaboration
- EORTC Quality of Life group
- European Association of Neuro-Oncology (EANO)
- EANO Scientific Committee
- British Psychosocial Oncology Society
I am involved in teaching for the MBChB course, and the setup of a new initiative called SPEAR: Student Panel for Excellence in Academic Research.
I also supervise PhD students. If you are interested in completing a PhD on a topic related to my research interests, please send me a message.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- Brain Cancer Research Group
Current postgraduate researchers
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/347-understanding-the-long-term-implications-of-treatment-of-rare-brain-tumours-on-health-related-quality-of-life:-a-european-cross-sectional-study">Understanding the long-term implications of treatment of rare brain tumours on health-related quality of life: a European cross-sectional study</a></li>