Dr Ian Clifton
- Position: Honorary Senior Lecturer
- Email: I.J.Clifton@leeds.ac.uk
- Website: LinkedIn | Researchgate | ORCID
I am a Consultant Physician in Respiratory Medicine with a particular interest in severe asthma, bronchiectasis and cystic fibrosis. I am based at St James's University Hospital as well as undertaking clinics at Leeds Chest Clinic and Seacroft Hospital.
I qualified from the Univeristy of Dundee in 1998, and undertook post-graduate training in respiratory medicine in West Yorkshire. During my higher medical training I undertook a period of research, and successfully submitted my MD entitled "Environmental survivial of Psuedomonas aeruginosa strains in people with cystic fibrosis" at the University of Leeds.
I am currently clincical lead for respiratory medicine and co-director of the Yorkshire Severe Asthma Network.
- Co-lead for 5th year MbChB
I have research interests in severe asthma, bronchiectasis, and cystic fibrosis. In collaboration colleagues in Civil Engineering I have developed interests in the impact of air quality on lung health and the role of aerosols in infection control. More information on my work is available here.
- BMSc (Hons) - University of Dundee
- MB ChB - University of Dundee
- MD - University of Leeds
- FRCP (Edin)
- Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh
- British Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- European Cystic Fibrosis Society
I am co-lead for the 5th year MB ChB course. I contribute to respiratory medicine teaching for 1st, 3rd and 5th year students on the MB ChB.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Research at St James's
- Leeds Institute of Medical Education