Dr Yasmin Kader
- Position: BMA Charter Lead
- Areas of expertise: Philosophy of Education; Leadership; School Improvement; Medieval History of Al Andalus; Equity and Inclusion
- Email: Y.Kader@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: Deans Office - Level 9/Remote working Worsley Building
My current role is primarily to lead the work on the BMA Charter to promote and mainstream racial equality and inclusion across the core (ie, teaching, learning, assessment and staff development) functions of the School of Medicine via the effective implementation of the BMA’s Charter to Tackle Racial Harassment. I also promote race equality more broadly at the Faculty of Medicine & Health and across the University of Leeds. My remit also extends to supporting the faith needs of Muslim staff and students at the Faculty of Medicine and Health.
My background is as an educationalist at school and HE levels with leadership experience also in equality, inclusion and tackling discrimination in the public, private and academic sectors. I have worked locally at Leeds City Council, nationally at Whitehall, London and internationally with the European Union in Brussels and the United Nations in New York to improve public services – particularly for the most disadvantaged.
My life purpose has been to help facilitate holistic dynamic learners, inclusive, flourishing communities and to prove that another way is possible through transformative, relevant teaching, learning and collaboration.I am passionate about developing others – specifically young people and so engage in outreach in schools and communities to raise aspirations and highlight learning pathways. My personal vision is to support holistic community regeneration through a learning renassaince, connecting communities, educational bodies, public services and businesses.
I founded UK’s first MA degree in Public Sector Leadership (a positive action initiative) in an effort to address the under representation of BAME staff at leadership levels and am developing similar initiatives currently at Leeds.
I am interested in how technology can become more student centred and enrich learning and development, including through effective use of data analytics to improve relevance and quality. For example, in my spare time, I enjoy developing various inclusive Edtech learning and development programmes (such as immersive learning) for students and the public. I also enjoy creative writing, in terms of creating inclusive novels for youth.
- Policy Officer
My research interests include:
- Holistic learning and development
- Al Andalus’s Contribution to Medicine in the West
- Leadership Development in the Health Sector
- Doctorate from Cambridge University in Education
- Master's Degree in Research Methods
- Master's Degree in International Development
- Masters Cert in Public Administration
- Prince 2 Project Management; Programme Management and Portfolio Programme Evaluator; Headteacher NPQ
- HA Association
I am currently working on inclusive curricula and research options on the MBChB and drafting a Positive Action Leadership programme to help address the under representation of BAME leadership in health and academia.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Medical Education