Janet has a Public health background and widescale public sector service improvement experience. She has particular expertise in community development and engaging the public and patients in health care. Janet is a member of NIHR's INVOLVE Advisory Group and provides consultancy advice on programme set up, development and implementation as well as stakeholder facilitation, mentoring and advisory work.
Prior to commencing doctorate study, Janet was the Macmillan Cancer Improvement Partnership (MCIP) Programme Director from 2013-2018. Janet led the programme and was responsible for developing cancer service improvements and innovation pilots in Manchester. The programme included:
- A UK first lung health check pilot programme
- Cancer standards for primary care practices
- An award-winning integrated community-based palliative care service
- A revised pathway or primary breast cancer follow up
- Training packages on cancer for non-specialists in the health and care workforce.
The programme won several awards. Previous roles include:
- NHS East Lancashire Community Networks Director, - responsible for building public health partnerships and joint commissioning programmes across East Lancashire
- Director of Regeneration and Communities, DCLG, Government Office for Yorkshire and the Humber - responsible for stronger communities and regeneration policy implementation and programme oversight in the region.
Janet's applied health doctorate study includes:
- a review of lung screening information and decision support materials
- exploring screening decsion making with people at high risk of lung cancer
- co-design of decision support materials with health care professionals and ever-smokers
- test of new materials for their acceptability, feasibility and impact on informed decision making and screening uptake.
- Master in Public Health (Distinction), University of Leeds
- Master of Arts (Oxon), University of Oxford
- Post Graduate Certificate, Public Sector Management, University of Birmingham
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Geography, University of Oxford
- Professional qualifications in Community Work, Programme, Project and Change Management