Mrs Asma Abahussin
My first degree was in computer science. My interest moved towards integrating my background with medicine and health. Therefore, I got my master degree in bioinformatics where my dissertation was about utilising machine learning to investigate the system of five molecular subtypes of breast cancer and identify the most influential genes in the system of each type. Then, I have been keen to contribute something more tangible towards improving the experience of patients with such disease. Thus, through my PhD, I am working on developing a pain-recording system for cancer patients using mHealth technology to support better pain management.
I am working throughout my PhD project on developing a health informatics tool to improve the management of pain in patients with cancer. I am investigating using mHealth technology in facilitating regular assessment and recording of pain and supporting pain self-management.
- MSc in Bioinformatics from Nottingham Trent University, UK, 2013.
- BSc in Computer Sciences from University of Wales, Newport, UK, 2007.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Health Sciences
- St Gemma's Academic Unit of Palliative Care
- Division of Primary Care, Palliative Care and Public Health