- Position: Lecturer in Cardiovascular Medicine
- Areas of expertise: Extracellular matrix (matricellular) proteins; cardiac fibrosis and inflammation; cardiac injury and remodelling
- Email: A.Maqbool@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4171
- Location: Room 7.31 , Discovery & Translational Science Department, LIGHT Laboratories
I undertook my undergraduate degree at the University of Newcastle Upon Tyne where I studied Physiology. I later obtained my PhD in Cardiovascular Studies at the University of Leeds where continued working as a postdoctoral researcher on a number of genome-wide association (GWA) programmes run by the British Heart Foundation and the Wellcome Trust. I was appointed a Lecturer in Cardiovascular Medicine in 2015.
- Module Lead for CARD2010 Cardiovascular Pumps Pipes and Electrics
- Module Lead for CARD3190 Cardiovascular Molecular Pharmacology
- Deputy Programme Director Intercalated Cardiovascular Medicine
My current research is focused on the role of extracellular matrix (matricellular) proteins in the adverse remodelling of the heart following cardiac injury and disease. My particular focus is understanding the role these proteins play in promoting cardiac inflammation and fibrosis. Moreover, I am interested in developing tools to reduce the effects of these proteins on remodelling. In addition, I am developing novel ways of identifying these proteins in the heart (where they may acts as surrogate markers for adverse cardiac remodelling) using imaging techniques such as MRI.
- PhD Cardiovascular Studies
- BSc (Hons) Physiology
- British Society for Cardiovascular Research
Teaching responsibilities include PhD supervision, undergraduate and postgraduate research supervison. I currently teach on a number of undergraduate modules run by the Faculty of Medicine and Health. I am Module Lead for a number of undergraduate modules and am the Deputy Programme Lead for the intercalated BSc Cardiovascular Medicine programme. I also acts as the personal tutor for Year 1 and 2 undergraduate Medical students.
Research groups and institutes
- Leeds Institute of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Medicine
- Discovery and Translational Science
- Multidisciplinary Cardiovascular Research Centre
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/1018-developing-small-molecule-therapeutics-to-target-cardiac-inflammation-and-disease">Developing small molecule therapeutics to target cardiac inflammation and disease</a></li>
<li><a href="//phd.leeds.ac.uk/project/686-the-role-of-matricellular-proteins-in-notch-signalling-and-cell-survival-after-myocardial-infarction">The role of matricellular proteins in notch signalling and cell survival after myocardial infarction</a></li>