- Position: Lecturer in Adult Nursing
- Areas of expertise: respiratory practice; non-medical prescribing; long-term conditions; primary care
- Email: A.O.D.Booth@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 3202
- Location: 1.29 Baines Wing
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | ORCID
I have a masters degree in Respiratory Practice, and I am a Non Medical Prescriber. I am studying for my PhD in Health, examining predictive factors of peak inspiratory flow rate to support inhaler technique for people with asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseas. I have worked as a respiratory nurse in primary and secondary care, Public Health, Clinical Comissioning, and in the Pharmaceutical Industry. I have chaired sessions for the Royal Collage of Physcians Nationa Enquiry into Asthma Deaths, contributed to to the British Thoracic Society’s Guideline on Asthma Management, and have co-authored the Cochrane review protocol “Interventions to improve inhaler technique for adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.”
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and assessing.
- Academic Integrity pannel.
My research interests are around inhaled therapy for people with obstructive airways disease. I am currently looking at the extent to which Peak Inspiratory Flow Rate is measured by health professionals when checking inhaler technique. I am also investigating if there is any way in which we can predict an individual’s inspiratory flow rate from routinely collected variables, such as lung function, height, gender, and ethnicity. The aim is to help health professionals, and the people they look after, select the most appropriate inhaler device for people living with lung conditions such as asthma.
A Sway presentation of my research project can be found at:
- Registered General Nurse
- Non Medical Prescribing
- MsC Respiratory Practice
- Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Royal College of Nursing
- Primary Care Respiratory Society
- Association of Respiratory Nurse Specialists
- Aerosol Society
I teach Adult Nursing students across all years, taking a lead role in respiratory care and supporting non-medical prescribing. I am Acadmic Personal Tutor and Academic Assessor for first year students, and Link Lecturer for the private and volutary sector clinical placements.