Mr Richard J. Moore
- Position: Clinical Lecturer & Consultant in Oral Surgery
- Areas of expertise: Oral Surgery Dental Implants Education Managed Clinical Networks Sedation Medical emergencies Third Molars Dento-alveolar surgery
- Email: R.Moore2@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 6.67a The Worsley Building
- Website: Twitter | Researchgate | ORCID
I graduated from the University of Birmingham in 2002 and since then have worked exclusively in Oral and Maxillofacial surgery posts across the UK both in primary and secondary care.
I completed my externship at the University of Illinois Chicago in Oral Surgery. I hold a Fellowship in Dental Surgery from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow, am a registered Specialist in Oral Surgery with the General Dental Council and a previous Council Member of the British Association of Oral Surgeons.
I am the Educational Advisor for Oral Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh.
I am an Advanced Life Support Instructor for the Resuscitation Council UK and teach medical emergencies and resuscitation to dental teams, I have an interest in the management of medical emergencies and medically compromised patients in oral surgery.
Previous academic appointments include the University of Warwick Medical School and Kings College London.
My educational interests lie with the clinical teaching of oral surgery to undergraduates and the development of oral surgery training in the U.K. I also deliver training to postgraduates in oral surgery and medical emergencies.
Clinically my interests are surgical rehabilitation of atrophic ridges, third molars and coronectomy, bone preserving exodontia techniques and piezosurgery, for which I am a Key Opinion Leader for.
In addition to this I am a core member of the Pre Molar Transplant MDT and Joint Orthodontic-Oral Surgery MDT at Leeds Dental Institute.
I am a reviewer for the following journals:
- European Journal of Dental Education
- Oral Surgery, Journal of Dentistry
- British Dental Journal
- Medicina Oral Patologia Oral y Cirugia Bucal
- Year 5 Lead
I am a part-time PhD student supervised by Dr Alan Mighell, Professor Gail Douglas and Dr Karen Vinall-Collier from the University of Leeds and an external supervisor Professor Iain Pretty, the University of Manchester.
My project is focussing on the referral behaviours of General Dental Practitioners within the current arrangements for commissioning and provision of oral surgery NHS services.
The second component explores the educational and training which prepares undergraduate dental students for oral surgery practice as early career GDC registrants.
- MFDS RCS (Eng)
- FDS RCPS (Ed)
- FFDT Ed
- British Association of Oral Surgeons
- Society for Advacement of Anaesthesia in Dentistry
- Association of Dental Implantologists
- HIgher Education Academy
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow
- Faculty of Dental Trainers, The Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Resuscitation Council UK
I am currently the Year Lead for the Final Year of the MChD programme at Leeds, I teach across all aspects of the course but specifically oral surgery and sedation.
I teach on the MSc in Oral Surgery and I am a supervisor for students’ dissertations.
In addition I supervise Specialist Trainees in Oral Surgery, both NHS and academic.