Mr Alasdair McKechnie
- Position: Associate Professor (Clinical) (T&S)
- Areas of expertise: Oral and maxillofacial surgery Early diagnosis of oral cancer Bisphosphonates and medication relation osteonecrosis of the jaw
- Email: A.McKechnie@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 6.67b Worsley Building
BDS University of Edinburgh 1990
MBChB Univeristy of Aberdeen 1996
PhD University of Nottingham 2007.
I am a UK trained Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. Before my appointment in Leeds I was a NHS consultant in Sheffield and Lincoln with an interest in head and neck oncology.
I have a broad experience of clinical OMFS and an interest in both undergraduate and postgraduate education.
Other current roles
PhD co-supervision - University of Sheffield
Tutor - MSc Translational Oncology - University of Sheffield
Clinical Lead for Acute Dental Care, Leeds Dental Institute
Adult Safeguarding Lead, Leeds Dental Institute
- Head of Academic Dept of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Programme Lead for MSc in Oral Surgery, Programme co-Lead for MSc Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Admissions Tutor for MChD Programme
I have a broad interest in oral and maxillofacial surgery and the relationship between dentistal and medical specialties.
My PhD was in dendritic cell immunotherapy of cancer.
I have an interest in early diagnosis of oral cancer.
I also have an interest in oral health related to cancer and other medical problems - in particular medication related osteonecrosis of the jaw.
- General Medical Council (Specialist list for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery)
- General Dental Council (Specialist list for Oral Surgery)
- British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists
I am currently Programme Lead for MSc and PGCert in Oral Surgery and co-Lead for the MSc in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
I am Module Lead for DSUR5300M Foundations of Oral Surgery, DSUR5306M Advanced Oral Surgery, DSUR5303M Service Improvement in Clinical Practice and DSUR5304M Introduction to Clinical Teaching and Supervision.
I am Admissions Tutor for MChD Programme.<h4>Postgraduate research opportunities</h4> <p>We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study. Our <a href="https://medicinehealth.leeds.ac.uk/research-opportunities">research opportunities</a> allow you to search for projects and scholarships.</p>