Dr Reem El-Gendy
- Position: Lecturer of Oral Biosciences
- Areas of expertise: Stem cell research; characterising stem cells in health and in disease; Dental Regeneration; Implant osteointegration under bone compromising systemic conditions, Alternative antimicrobials.
- Email: R.El-Gendy@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8062
- Location: 7.13a Wellcom Trust Brenner Building
- Website: Twitter | LinkedIn | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID
Reem graduated as a dentist and specialised in Oral Pathology, before coming to Leeds to embark on a PhD in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine.
She was awarded her PhD in January 2011 and took up a post-doctoral research fellow position in WELMEC: a multidisciplinary centre of excellence in medical engineering and regenerative medicine jointly funded by Wellcome Trust and EPSRC, at the University of Leeds. In 2015, she became an independent research fellow, pursuing her research interest in characterizing stem cells in health and in disease as well as investigating all aspects of dental tissue regeneration including: regeneration of bone, dentin- pulp complex and periodontal ligament, characterisation of suitable biomaterials for dental regneration and devloping simulation models invitro and insitu . Reem is also interested in investigating implants’ Osseointegration, and alternative antimicrobials for for regnerative dentistry applications.
Reem is curreuntly a Lecturer of Oral Biosciences at the division of Oral Biology, whereshe continues to teach oral and dental biosciences to undergraduate (DS &DHT programmes) and postgraduate students.
Reem won several research awards ( BSODR Mineralised tissue Group award, Best Presntation Award in the China-UK Oral health symposium, and the University of Leeds Postgraduate students award for best oral presntation for lay audience)
Reem is also the Early Career Researcher Represntative in the School of Dentistry’s Research and Innovation committee and the Early Career Represenative at the internationalisation Committee, Faculty of Medicine and Health.
Reem has been invited to speak at national and international conferences and has establishes a worldwide collaborative network. Reem acts as a reviewer for several international journals such as; Tissue Engineering (parts A-C), Biomed Research International, J. of Materials Science, and Journal of Biomedical Material Research.She is the associate editor for Frontiers Medical Techologies journal and a reviewing edictor for Frontiers in Dentistry journal.
Reem continues to employ her clinical experience and knowldge to inform my teaching and to translate resaerch ideas to the clinic.
Members of Research Group:
Ms. Nancy Hussien: PhD student (Newton- Musharafa Funding)
Ms. Hend Alharbi: PhD student
Ms. Taghrid Mohammed: visiting PhD student (Newton- Musharafa Funding)
Ms. Arwa Al-Ghamdi: PhD student
Dr Naile Dame-Teixeira: Academy of Medical Science Research Fellow under supervision of Dr Thuy Do and Dr Reem El-Gendy
Ms. Raghda Magdi: visiting PhD student (Newton- Musharafa Funding)
- Early Career Researchers Representative | School of Dentistry
- Modular Leader
- PhD and Professional Doctorates Supervisor and Examiner
Reem research interests are:
- Characterising Dental and Mesenchymal stem cells in health and in disease
- Developing Insitu and invitro models simualting dental and skeletal tissue in health and in disease
- Investigating factors affecting and compromising Osseointegration of dental implants in systemically challenged patients (Diabetes and Osteoporosis)
- Investigating the role of Insulin Growth Factor Axis in dental tissue regeneration
- Characterisation of Biomaterials for dental and skeletal tissue regeneration
- Investigating alternative antimicrobials to prevent peri-implantitis and implant failure associated with infections
- PhD in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Leeds School of Dentistry
- MDS in Oral Biology and Pathology, Suez Canal University, Egypt
- BDs in Oral and Dental Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Performance , University of Leeds
- International association of Dental Research (IADR)
- Bristish Society of Oral and Dental Research (BSODR)
- Tissue and Cell Engineering Society (TCES)
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS)
Reem contributes to teaching oral bioscience to undergradutes in years 1, 2, and 3 in the Dental Surgery program and year 1 in the Dental Hygien and Therapy program. She also teaches on the clinical master programs. Her area of teaching covers but is not exclusive to the following areas: tooth morphology, intra oral eaxmination, structure of oral tissues in health and in disease, nutrition in relation to dentistry, biochemistry of Saliva and periodntal ligament and oral cancer.
Research groups and institutes
- Biomaterials and tissue engineering