- Position: Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Orthodontist
- Email: S.K.Barber@leeds.ac.uk
- Location: 6.091a Level 6 Worsley Building
- Website: Twitter | Researchgate | ORCID
I completed my Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Sheffield in 2008 then gained experience in General Dental Practice, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Paediatric and Special Care Dentistry before starting orthodontic specialist training in Leeds in 2011. Having obtained MSc with distinction in 2013 and the Membership in Orthodontics (RCS Ed) in 2014, I started an academic Senior Registrar post in Leeds.
In June 2015 I successfully secured an NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship to support my PhD research “Adolescent and parent decision-making and preferences in hypodontia care using Discrete Choice Experience”. This was completed in 2019 and I transferred to an NIHR Clinical Lecturer post to finish clinical training while pursuing further academic opportunities.
My current post is a research and scholarship Clinical Lecturer (grade 8), in which I predominantly focus on research supervision and postgraduate teaching, alongside building my own research portfolio. I have a strong interest in public involvement in research. For the clinical part of my job I work in Pinderfields General Hospital two days a week as a Consultant Orthodontist, delivering and supervising orthodontic treatment for a range of malocclusions.
I have an active role in the British Orthodontic Society, currently acting as Secretary for the University Teachers’ Group.
- Patient communication and engagement in care, particularly shared decision-making
- Patient experience of dental care
- Health service research
- Public involvement in research
Subeditor for Journal of Orthodontics
- BDS (University of Sheffield, 2008)
- MSc with Distinction (University of Leeds, 2013)
- PG Diploma in Health Research with Merit (University of Leeds, 2019)
- PhD (University of Leeds, 2019)
- Membership and Fellowship in Orthodontics (Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 2014 and 2020)
- British Orthodontic Society
- European Orthodontic Society
- Society for Medical Decision-Making
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Academic Lead for Postgraduate Orthodontics, University of Leeds.
- Supervisor for UG MChD research projects (Final Year Projects).
- External examiner for UCL and KCL.