I gained a Diploma Dental Hygiene / Dental Therapy in 2005. I was awarded the prize for the highest marks in Scotland through invitation to be a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh.
In 2011, I gained a PGCE in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education and Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy. In 2015, I was awarded a distinction for MSc Evidence Based Practice. I am currently undertaking a Doctor of Professional Practice.
I have worked in Higher Education since 2009 having gained experience as a dental therapy lecturer before becoming programme leader for the BSc (Hons) Dental Hygiene and Therapy at Teesside University. In 2022, she gained the post as Lecturer of Cultural and Societal Transformation in Dental Education at the University of Leeds.
My contribution to teaching and learning began early in my academic career through my position as part of a team to set up two new dental programmes. Since then, I have been the sole creator of an innovative new programme; the first postgraduate Dental Therapy conversion course in the UK for practising Dental Hygienists to learn additional skills within their current workplace thereby allowing them to convert to the role of Dental Therapist.
Throughout my years as a dental academic, I have become increasingly passionate in promoting equality, diversity and inclusion in student education. A concept I have embedded in all aspects of my role; through curriculum design, into the classroom and in partnership with students and staff.
I am an Assessment Panellist for the GDC and have held positions as External Examiner at both Manchester University and the University of Highlands and Islands.
- Teaching and learning
- Curriculum review and redesign
- Education research and scholarly activity
- A study to develop a purposely built and integrated oral health education programme for service users undergoing drug rehabilitation, delivered by dental hygiene and therapy undergraduates: Protocol
- The use of interventions to improve the oral health of drug dependent patients: A scoping review protocol
- Does the use of hyaluronic acid in the treatment of chronic periodontitis lead to improved periodontal regeneration? A systematic Review
- An investigation into the use of fluoride in nursery schools from differing socioeconomic areas
- MSc EBP, Teesside, 2015
- PGCE LTHE, FHEA, Teesside, 2011
- Dip DH/DT, Glasgow, 2005
- PG Cert in Music Performance, RSAMD, 2001
- BA (Hons) Musical Studies, RSAMD, 2000
The delivery of inclusive, active and digitally enhanced experiences to students that embrace innovation and evidence-informed approaches to teaching and learning.