Dr Andrew Prestwich
- Position: Senior Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: health behaviour change; attitudes; social influence; motivation; health psychology
- Email: A.J.Prestwich@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 8559
- Location: 1.16 Psychology
- Website: | Googlescholar | Researchgate | ORCID | White Rose
Andy is a Health Psychologist (Health and Care Professions Council registered) with nearly 20 years experience in developing and evaluating innovative health behaviour change interventions. He is an Associate Editor for Psychology of Sport and Exercise and an editorial board member for Health Psychology Review and British Journal of Health Psychology. He obtained his undergraduate (1997-2000) and postgraduate degrees (2000-2003) from the University of Leeds and then held a lecturing post at the University of Oxford and postdoctoral research positions at the University of Essex and University College London. He rejoined the University of Leeds in 2007 and was promoted to Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor) in 2010. He was the Director of Research for four years between 2011 and 2015 and is a former British Psychological Society Committee Member (2010-2011).
- Programme Manager MPsyc/MSc Psychological Approaches to Health
Andy tries to identify the factors that explain why we do the things that we do. He is particularly interested in changing health behaviours such as physical activity, diet and smoking. He applies a range of methods including randomized controlled trials and systematic reviews. His first book, 'Health Behavior Change: Theories, Methods & Interventions', was published in 2017 by Routledge.
- PhD Psychology
- BSc Psychology
- Health and Care Professions Council
- British Psychological Society (Division of Health Psychology)
Andy is the programme manager for the MPsyc/MSc Psychological Approaches to Health degrees.
Research groups and institutes
- Health and social psychology